|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To Buy or build

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to start full timing in two years don’t try to build an RV. It won’t be ready.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost wise, you are much better buying an older RV than doing a conversion. Green wise, an existing RV already has that stuff done so you do not have to waste resources building up a conversion. If she does not want all that glitz, get an older RV.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a design professional and a contractor myself, I have been involved with hundreds of projects. I assume this will be your first one. Think about it. Most experienced RV manufacturers have built thousands of MH's all of different sizes, types, and designs. They make mistakes (as you will) and their current designs reflect that. You don't have their experience, you get only one chance to get it right. Do you feel lucky? Because if/when you aren't, you will pay for it in time, money, aggravation, etc.

I don't mean to discourage you, just the opposite. Just make sure you are clear on what you are getting into before you commit. If you end up with a half finished project when your energy runs out, expect to be compensated as though it is a TOTAL LOSS. It's a lot more than cabinetry!

Good luck with what you decide.

Chum lee

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses. Confirms what I already suspected. I made pros and cons list of a build over a buy and it was VERY heavily weighted in the buy side. We will have so much to do already in prepping for full time life, why add to the stress and potentially not be happy with the product, not finish it, and not actually green-er when considering all the factors? If I really want to make it green, a used RV and customized to our likings is a much more achievable task and essentially accomplishes the same thing only with the infrastructure already in place and a far better platform.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

dieselbobcat

Northern NJ, United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

As conversations get serious about our plans to full time in the next 2 years DW and I have entered into a heated debate. Let me preface by saying this all started a week ago when we visited some friends who have built out a custom sprinter. Let me also say it was a phenomenal job but he's a custom cabinet maker by trade. It took him 2 years. That said his B has no bathroom, heat, AC, and a cartridge toilet, hardly what I am looking for in terms of a full time rig.

Sure sounds like a friend of mine... This wouldnt be the Darkstar Sprinter-fella would it?

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieselbobcat wrote:

way2roll wrote:

As conversations get serious about our plans to full time in the next 2 years DW and I have entered into a heated debate. Let me preface by saying this all started a week ago when we visited some friends who have built out a custom sprinter. Let me also say it was a phenomenal job but he's a custom cabinet maker by trade. It took him 2 years. That said his B has no bathroom, heat, AC, and a cartridge toilet, hardly what I am looking for in terms of a full time rig.

Sure sounds like a friend of mine... This wouldnt be the Darkstar Sprinter-fella would it?

No. Old friend of mine back in MD. I doubt he's on any forum.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have all the skills to build one, and the time, I suppose, since we’re retired. But I wouldn’t consider it. I have built vehicles before. It’s a labor of love, but it’s not “green” nor is it cost efficient vs. purchasing someone else’s project.

If you don’t want a newer, factory built rig then there’s plenty of project rigs out there that have been completed (?) and used and the owners are ready to move on to something else.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have the skills to build so that wouldn't be a choice for me. I think the country is full of nice used motor homes of all years, sizes and conditions so I would do that but if building could be mainly for the fun and sense of accomplishment I get that.

Jayco-noslide

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the best choice is to buy a used coach and use it for a year BEFORE you go full time. That way if there is anything you want to change/repair in the coach, you will have the time, tools, and the space to make the changes/repairs before you get rid of everything and go full time.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I think the best choice is to buy a used coach and use it for a year BEFORE you go full time. That way if there is anything you want to change/repair in the coach, you will have the time, tools, and the space to make the changes/repairs before you get rid of everything and go full time.

This is an excellent point. I told DW we need to have something in a minimum of 6 mos prior to shake it down and make changes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To Buy or build
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.