|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Osteoporosis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a call last night from a neighbor lady who is being treated for osteoporosis prevention/mitigation. She can no longer take the pills, not sure the name, starts with an “F”. She is being offered the drug Reclast by injection once a year. She has read the warnings and side effects and is particularly concerned about the warning that she will likely have pain for the first month or so. Because of this she is reluctant to do it.

We have no experience with Reclast at all so thought we would reach out on this forum and see if anyone has any experience with it. Thanks in advance.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see no one has responded to your question yet so I will give it a try.

My wife gets a twice yearly injection of Prolea which sounds very similar to the one you are asking about. She has had no problems with pain or any other side effects since she started the procedure two years ago. The only thing she had to do was increase her Calcium intake because of the injection. She needs to take a minimum of 1000mg of Calcium every day so she get it from two Costco Calcium Citrate tablets per day.

I realize this is not the product you were asking about but thought her experience might reassure your friend to go ahead. Perhaps the anxiety about pain is better than the broken bones that can result from a fall!
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

I see no one has responded to your question yet so I will give it a try.

My wife gets a twice yearly injection of Prolea which sounds very similar to the one you are asking about. She has had no problems with pain or any other side effects since she started the procedure two years ago. The only thing she had to do was increase her Calcium intake because of the injection. She needs to take a minimum of 1000mg of Calcium every day so she get it from two Costco Calcium Citrate tablets per day.

I realize this is not the product you were asking about but thought her experience might reassure your friend to go ahead. Perhaps the anxiety about pain is better than the broken bones that can result from a fall!
Barney

Thanks for the info on an alternate medication. I also did some research for her and found that the FDA has linked increased risk of kidney failure to the med she is being offered. I just plan on showing her all the info I have collected so she can ask the appropriate questions to her doctor and they can make the right decision for her.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't remember the name but there is an injectable drug on or coming on the market that makes makes bones grow like you were an adolescent again. It's first use was or is to make joints that are like that, knees, finger joints grow new smooth surfaces just like when we were kids. They can or will only give it for a few years or treatments because of fears of bones growing too much, I believe.
It will take some digging to find out about it, or it will me.
And...not all Doctors are up on the laatest and not all Insurance will cover new treatments.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is an interesting article that you may want to print or give her the URL.
Barney

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George-The drug you mentioned with an "F" was probably Fosamax. I was on it for several years and my Rheumatologist told me I had times out so I no longer take it.
All drugs have side effects,often rare, some worse than others. Fosamax has on those rare occasions caused Osteo Necrosis-Not sure of spelling. An oral surgeon one refused to remove a tooth because I was on Fosamax. Said I had to be off of it for 6 months and take a specific blood test. First 2 labs had never heard of the test but a third did. Tooth was removed with no issues. My Rheumatologist became a little angry at the surgeon.

I am now on Enbril for 5 plus years and to read the side effects, along with some of the other drugs-Methotrexate is one of them. Prior to Enbril one must be tested for TB as well as many other biologic require will scare you. One must weigh risks vs. benefits. I suffered incredible pain with my Rheumatoid Arthritis until they were able to get it under control and I doubt I will ever get off them.

I have friends Prolea and I may have to start taking it soon.

How old is your neighbor? Falls and fractures in the elderly can be a long time recovery. I woulkd ask my doctor to give the the benefits vs. risks of Prolia, Reclast or any other injectible and why did he chose the one he did. She should also ask her doctor about co-pay assistance from whichever drugs she chooses. My Enbril, one injection per week with a 12 pack refill per quarter is $14,000 per quarter.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most, (but not all) Osteoporosis is caused by the very poorly diagnosed parathyroid disease.

What is the calcium level? Normal is 9-10. Outside of this range, especially on the high side is a concern, and requires you to get Pth test run. Dr's will resist this, because it can't be it. My wife's doc, no lightweight and head of a Univ of MI clinic, tried to talk her out of going to Tampa FL for surgery, stating it's not that, we need to run more tests, blah blah blah. One tumor is very operable, and somewhat common. Two tumors is extremely rare. Only my wife can come up with the rarest form of the rare disease, all four of her parathyroids were diseased.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Osteoporosis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS