|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greene728 wrote:

97chevor wrote:

I run 80 psi all tires all the time. The reason being it's easier and more time to spot a tire going flat.

I have driven many miles. Lower starting pressures builds more heat. It actually inflates the tire the longer driving. Too much heat causes blowouts.

This only applies if the tire is overloaded and under pressured. If the lower pressure is adequate for the amount of weight on the tire then there's no problem.

I too have a 3500 SRW Ram/Cummins and run 55-60 front year around and 75 loaded/towing and 50 non loaded on the rear. At 50 on the rear according to my TPMS even in the hottest of days here in Georgia the highest heated pressure I've ever seen is maybe 55-56 and no excessive heat on the tire

X2

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The door post says 50 psi front and 80 psi rear "

That's insane!!! My 98 4x4 with 3rd gen tires and wheels I ran 72 front 35-40 rear unloaded. I would get 100k BFG's and 120K Michelins.

PROPER inflation is EVERYTHING!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Blindly running at full inflation can give rough ride, longer stopping distance and poor tire wear. Weight/inflation tables are there for a reason!!!

I think your right. But logistically I'm not inflating /deflating tires after every trip. I can't imagine everyone else goes through an air up air down ritual each trip[emoticon]

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Blindly running at full inflation can give rough ride, longer stopping distance and poor tire wear. Weight/inflation tables are there for a reason!!!

I think your right. But logistically I'm not inflating /deflating tires after every trip. I can't imagine everyone else goes through an air up air down ritual each trip[emoticon]

Some do but I can’t be bothered. Mine are inflated to door sticker pressures for summer towing season. Up north the tt gets put away from oct to May so it makes sense to lower them for that period.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, Parker. Haven’t seen a double sticker in that era.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of my vehicle tires are aired up to the max = Mini Van, K3500 Suburban and Frontier crew

Performance is on my have to have list and ride quality isn't....ride quality is at the bottom of my nice to have list

All personal choice topic and how/where/etc you drive...there isn't a one size fits all on this topic...as it is with most topics...

Also remind folks of what Ford did solely for ride quality (not for performance) on the Explorer and the subsequent federally mandated dash & tire PSI monitor/warning lite...have to maim/kill folks before it sinks in...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When I travel south I am at my towing pressures If I am at a site for only a few days I leave the pressures high. If I am there for a couple weeks or longer they get dropped.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

All of my vehicle tires are aired up to the max = Mini Van, K3500 Suburban and Frontier crew

Performance is on my have to have list and ride quality isn't....ride quality is at the bottom of my nice to have list

All personal choice topic and how/where/etc you drive...there isn't a one size fits all on this topic...as it is with most topics...

Also remind folks of what Ford did solely for ride quality (not for performance) on the Explorer and the subsequent federally mandated dash & tire PSI monitor/warning lite...have to maim/kill folks before it sinks in...

I hope you never have to make a emergency stop in a low traction situation with a pickup with with 80 PSI with no load in the bed.

In talking with Michelin about inflation a couple of times they stated that beside low traction issues, and over inflated tire for the load in more likely to receive impact damage when over inflated for the load.

I do know having owned my 2001 RAM 2500 std cab lb for 14 years that with 80 psi in the rear empty it handle a bit squirrely.

But to each their own. And please do not tailgate me if you are ever behind me.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

BenK wrote:

I hope you never have to make a emergency stop in a low traction situation with a pickup with with 80 PSI with no load in the bed.

In talking with Michelin about inflation a couple of times they stated that beside low traction issues, and over inflated tire for the load in more likely to receive impact damage when over inflated for the load.

I do know having owned my 2001 RAM 2500 std cab lb for 14 years that with 80 psi in the rear empty it handle a bit squirrely.

I agree with you. It depends on what your primary "performance" trait you are trying to maximize. Because everything is a compromise. Ben's definition of performance is load capacity. Where others may be traction, ride quality, tread life or some combination thereof. There is never any one perfect answer when dealing with multiple mutually exclusive (to some degree) options.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Me Again wrote:

BenK wrote:

I agree with you. It depends on what your primary "performance" trait you are trying to maximize. Because everything is a compromise. Ben's definition of performance is load capacity. Where others may be traction, ride quality, tread life or some combination thereof. There is never any one perfect answer when dealing with multiple mutually exclusive (to some degree) options.

The way I see it this is a towing forum. Max. pressure is generally what's needed for towing. Towing is what we all have in common.
Once we stray away from towing and the discussion turns to groceries,driving across a sandy beach low traction or doing anything else our needs and perspectives will change drastically.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.