RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Suspension upgrade disappointment.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Suspension upgrade disappointment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 15 year old Itasca 30 footer gradually became a real chore and dangerous to drive down the road straight. First tried alignment, balance, new tires and change in tire pressure. No improvement. Finally a front end/alignment shop replaced the obviously worn bushings and recommended a "suspension upgrade" and we did replacement all sway bars and added a rear track bar. I'm not sure if this was regarded as a total or just a partial upgrade but the claims were pretty lofty. Now, after 1000 miles I'm somewhat disappointed and still find it hard on my old shoulders to steer all of the time. I think it is better and probably needed done but I don't think it can be even better until the play is taken out of the wheel and no one has addressed that. Have already spent around 5K and really don't want to spend another $1000 or more. Comments?

Jayco-noslide

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vehicles are complicated. There are a lot of parts that wear out over time. It is that one last bushing or control arm that needs to be replaced that makes all of the difference. Do not give up. YOu are almost there.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how are the ball joints? tie rod ends?

Length to wheel base ratio is?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

egrove

Dallastown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you saying it used to drive better and has now gotten worse? If so, I would look at items that have worn out, instead of adding new parts such as sway bars and track bars. What is the condition of the shocks and other suspension components as Don mentioned?

Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

after 1000 miles I'm somewhat disappointed and still find it hard on my old shoulders to steer all of the time. I think it is better and probably needed done but I don't think it can be even better until the play is taken out of the wheel and no one has addressed that. Have already spent around 5K and really don't want to spend another $1000 or more. Comments?

If the steering wheel has too much "play", the steering gears/box might be worth a look. My old Roadtrek (on the 2002 Chevy 3500 Express van) steering wheel had a lot of play in it, but I just got used to it. The other reason I didn't bother fixing it was the parts were obsolete. I could have gotten an after market steering box replacement, but I didn't think it was worth the effort for a bit of extra steering wheel play. I had the wheel bearings replaced, and put new tires on it, and eventually Bilstein shocks, all of which helped the tracking, but I never bothered to get the steering parts replaced.
Maybe you could/should get yours checked?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely check the tie rod ends and ball joints; my first guess would be the tie rod ends. If you have a steering damper (I think that may just be on the E450 from the factory), see if it is worn also--or if it looks worn or leaky, just replace it as they are not all that expensive or hard to replace. When I replaced mine I discovered that it seemed to have an air bubble in it, presumably from having some of the fluid leak out over time, which caused it to be elastic for small movements rather than damping them out...and replacing it had a noticeable positive impact on the steering feel.

mbutts

Farmington MI, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done the usual upgrades on my E-450 chassis (bigger sway bars, Bilstein shocks, alignment with max caster), but still found the steering "loose".

The MH went on a diet (almost nothing in the rear compartments, fresh tank almost empty, waste tanks empty) and I filled the Ride Rite airbags to their max. I was looking to put as much weight on the front axle as possible by taking it away from the big ol' tail overhang.

The steering improved quite a bit. I'm disappointed that I can't carry much with us, but it is easier to drive.

Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most common cause is simply weight distribution. You need minimum 32% of your total weight on the front axle.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I'll never understand why people want to "upgrade" their poorly performing vehicle when it doesn't suit them. Why not get it to work, . . . . . right, . . . . . . as it was designed to do, BEFORE you start the upgrade process.

Your vehicle is 15 years old. Things wear out. Unless you specifically KNOW that some component of your vehicle has weak engineering points, just repair it properly (they way it came from the factory) and go from there.

That means replacing worn bushings, tie rods, shocks, etc. Most people are amazed when their vehicle works as it was initially designed. (it's not a race car, it's a truck operating at close to maximum gross weight)

Chum lee

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Most common cause is simply weight distribution. You need minimum 32% of your total weight on the front axle.
+1 for running across the scales.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Suspension upgrade disappointment.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS