RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Suspension upgrade disappointment.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Suspension upgrade disappointment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

after 1000 miles I'm somewhat disappointed and still find it hard on my old shoulders to steer all of the time. I think it is better and probably needed done but I don't think it can be even better until the play is taken out of the wheel and no one has addressed that. Have already spent around 5K and really don't want to spend another $1000 or more. Comments?

If the steering wheel has too much "play", the steering gears/box might be worth a look. My old Roadtrek (on the 2002 Chevy 3500 Express van) steering wheel had a lot of play in it, but I just got used to it. The other reason I didn't bother fixing it was the parts were obsolete. I could have gotten an after market steering box replacement, but I didn't think it was worth the effort for a bit of extra steering wheel play. I had the wheel bearings replaced, and put new tires on it, and eventually Bilstein shocks, all of which helped the tracking, but I never bothered to get the steering parts replaced.
Maybe you could/should get yours checked?

My thoughts also. Once all the bushings etc are gone through, if problem persists, there's only one thing left. Steering box itself

Proud father of a US Marine

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all of the attempts to help but that seems to be part of the problem. There are so many things that could be done beyond the 5k+ already spent that I could spend another 5 basically at "trial and error".I think I'll put up with it or consider downsizing to an affordable used Class B. And really test drive it to make sure I can live with the drive.

Jayco-noslide

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I appreciate all of the attempts to help but that seems to be part of the problem. There are so many things that could be done beyond the 5k+ already spent that I could spend another 5 basically at "trial and error".I think I'll put up with it or consider downsizing to an affordable used Class B. And really test drive it to make sure I can live with the drive.

What is your caster set at? Should be on your alignment report.

Here is a link to our experience circa 2010

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some things aren't trial and error. Did you have the ball joints checked? If they haven't been replaced on a 15 year old Motorhome, they are most likely due. The OEM ball joints on our 2009 (2008 chassis) only lasted 7 years.

Our Jayco handled great on the road right from the dealership lot. I could easily drive it 15 hours at a time without undue fatigue. After about 6 years I noticed it was wandering a little. I figured it was time for an alignment. When I took it in, the mechanic told me it needed ball joints. After they were replaced and aligned, it handled even better than new.

Our mechanic charged $950 with an alignment to replace the ball joints with Moog greaseable ball joints.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbutts wrote:

I have done the usual upgrades on my E-450 chassis (bigger sway bars, Bilstein shocks, alignment with max caster), but still found the steering "loose".

The MH went on a diet (almost nothing in the rear compartments, fresh tank almost empty, waste tanks empty) and I filled the Ride Rite airbags to their max. I was looking to put as much weight on the front axle as possible by taking it away from the big ol' tail overhang.

The steering improved quite a bit. I'm disappointed that I can't carry much with us, but it is easier to drive.

My 09 Cambria had some upgrades when I purchased it and I added Bilsteins. I too put my coach on a diet, moved heavier items up front . I still carry the max in my water tank but the air bags make a big difference. Also, original poster, try different speeds. mine starts getting weird above 62. My recent trip towing my 12 foot trailer with a Polaris Ranger on it, I drove 55. Not only did my mileage improve by up to 2 Mpg but the handling was pleasantly different.
I may just keep it in the 50's next trip without the trailer and see how it goes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Suspension upgrade disappointment.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS