|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Trailer Suspension Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wet bolts and bronze bushings are IMHO a good upgrade if you put very many miles/year on the trailer. It will adress some suspension component weakness. I doubt it helps on keeping things from moving around one bit. I didn't notice any difference. What will help things from moving around is to get the tires balanced, if they are steel wheels make sure the shop uses lug centric adapters. If they are alloy wheels they are probably hub/lug centric. That made a noticeable difference in both my trailers and with several other friends we travel with.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One cannot deny the advantages of wet bolts and bronze bearings but I would certainly consider shock absorbers.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Andy F

St Cloud, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I finnaly did the wet bolt and rubber ride upgrade and it made a big difference. My 18 year old mechanic/son/wizard did it for me in our driveway. I also now tow a full tank of gray water to add weight over the axles to cut down on bouncing. I may add shocks next year before our next trip west.

Andy
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2008 Toyota Sequoia
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!

Nights camped in 2015=39
Nights camped in 2016=31
Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=22

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely it is a job you can do yourself. There is a great thread on this stuck at the top of this forum, complete with lots of pictures, that will help you do it. The former moderator of this TT forum, Les Adams, started it and I and others did their trailers following his lead. I posted about about it also in his thread. I think you will find it very helpful.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best upgrades a trailer owner can do. The shackles are twice as thick as the factory and the greasable bushings quiet things down 100%. Stability is the biggest advantage from this upgrade. I does not take long for the plastic bushings to wear out. You can do it yourself if you have 2 floor jacks and stands to support the trailer while you take the wheels off and the springs loose.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting ready to do a upgrade on my project trailer. I plan to add rubber equalizers, wet bolt kit with bronze bushings, and shocks. I can't say if it's worth the money over stock but it makes me feel better. It's a long winter and I have plenty of time and the cost is minimal. I plan on taking the trailer on a several thousand mile trip to Alaska.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the Lippert cushioned equalizer on our second trailer, and couldn't tell the difference. Later we switched to the MORryde SRE4000. Wow what a difference. So, even though the third trailer came with the Dexter cushioned equalizer, we took the new trailer straight from the dealer to the axle shop for SRE4000 and MORryde X-Factor braces on all 3 hanger pairs. I highly recommend the SRE4000 for 5K to 6K axles. MORryde also recommends the X-Factor on the center pair of hangers. You do need 3" of tire clearance above the tires prior to installation of the SRE4000--it will raise your trailer creating an additional 1" of clearance. It needs 4" of clearance to work since it changes shock into movement. I truly believe that the SRE4000 greatly reduces "shaken trailer syndrome". Full disclosure: we also had disk brakes, heavier axles, and wet bolt kit installed at the same time. Our non-RV friends cannot believe we put that much money into a new trailer. We just decided to get it all done immediately when new instead of dribbling it out over a few years.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Trailer Suspension Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS