|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to add bleach to fresh water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm missing something but can't you just put the bleach in the hose and turn on the water?

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use an inline filter for your water connection, do you have one of the short hoses that those sometimes come with? If so connect that to the water fill, and put a funnel on the other end of it to add the bleach or whatever chemical you plan to use.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but can't you just put the bleach in the hose and turn on the water?

That's what I would do. Sanitizes the hose at the same time.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the antifreeze suction line to suck in a mixture of bleach and water. That leaves about 12" of water line from the city water connection around the valves that doesn't get exposed to the solution. I installed a new switch at the valve and city connection panel to make easy to turn the pump on and off (switch is in series with OEM switch, electrically).

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lenr ~~ Everybody got one of those ???

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pump your water bleach solution into your fresh tank using your winterizing system.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Pump your water bleach solution into your fresh tank using your winterizing system.

Any RV winterizing system I have seen is on the suction line between water tank and pump, and bypasses the fresh water tank suction..winterizing valve closes water tank suction line and opens pigtail suction line to jug of pink stuff.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No not everyone has an antifreeze suction line, but better trailers likely do. The question will be is there a way to route the output of the pump to the fresh water tank where it gets mixed with the proper amount of water. The first time I went out to Clorox our trailer I was just as stumped as the OP. The labels on our Coachmen Chaparral water valves were no help at all. So, I took off a panel to trace down the plumbing schematic. And, I realized that I could suck a Clorox water mixture in through the antifreeze suction line and pump it to the tank when the two valves were set for tank fill. All I have to do is shut off the water flow to the trailer, and then turn on the pump to such mixed Clorox out of a bucket.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 pages of arguing about something that is about as simple as putting your socks on in the morning.....
Synopsis, OPs camper apparently only has 1 connection for city water and filling the tank. Valve somewhere or sumthin....
Anyway, pour the bleach in the hose, then fill tank with same hose.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Get one of those funnels with a collapsible hose-like tail end. Try auto stores.

Or a turkey baster.

May I also suggest using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach? Pour a whole quart in and let it sit for 24 hours. Easier to flush out and leaves no aftertastes.

The type of hydrogen peroxide available in grocery and drug stores is already diluted to a 3-10% solution. Diluting it further will make it a very poor disinfectant. Using industrial hydrogen peroxide would be unsafe for most people to be handling.

If you’re wanting to sanitize your water system including the tank, the disinfectant needs to touch every square inch of it.

You really can’t beat chlorine bleach for that job, and if you don’t over do it, it flushes out easily.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to add bleach to fresh water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS