|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier Nat'l Park in 5th wheel, June 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
calberry

Lake Wildwood, Ca. (near Grass Valley)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be coming down from Banff on the way to Yellowstone mid-June 2020 and would like to spend a couple of nights in Glacier. We don't need hookups, so are considering Fish Creek or St. Marys. I am just starting my research (have already made reservations in Yellowstone) so know nothing about either (other than what I've seen on rec.gov.)

Any recommendations as to which CG is best, or should I look at spending a night or two at each one.

How does one get from one CG to the other since I wouldn't be able to go over the GTTS Rd? I do plan on doing the GTTS while there, but of course only in the truck.

Thanks,

Steve

2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably too early for GTS road to be cleared. Depends on how snowy the winter was.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Probably too early for GTS road to be cleared. Depends on how snowy the winter was.

Won't the CG's be open?

Thx

Steve

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes barring any other problems like fires. Getting from one side to the other is done via US 2 which hooks around the bottom of the park. I drove that this summer but did not camp at Glacier. 2 is a good highway. I don't feel qualified to advise on dry camping cg, last couple of times we stayed at FHU cg. Don't try Hungry Horse Reservior for boondocking around the bottom of the park. I can tell you that from hard learned experience from this summer...heh. Get the MVUM from the National Forests in the area, they are online and will show you boondocking availability. There are a lot of areas around the park. They call it distributed camping on the maps.

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Yes barring any other problems like fires. Getting from one side to the other is done via US 2 which hooks around the bottom of the park. I drove that this summer but did not camp at Glacier. 2 is a good highway. I don't feel qualified to advise on dry camping cg, last couple of times we stayed at FHU cg. Don't try Hungry Horse Reservior for boondocking around the bottom of the park. I can tell you that from hard learned experience from this summer...heh. Get the MVUM from the National Forests in the area, they are online and will show you boondocking availability. There are a lot of areas around the park. They call it distributed camping on the maps.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post, the only two CG's I am currently interested in are Fish Creek and St. Mary, and that is because I can make reservations with recreation.gov in advance.

Thanks for the Hwy info. I looked at the map and understand it now.

Steve

LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on what side of the park you want to stay on. In my opinion, the west side where Fish Creek is located is more touristy. Although I have not stayed in Fish Creek myself I did drive through the campground and it has more privacy between the spots from what I remember. The timber is taller and thicker. St. Mary on the east side is more open of a campground with smaller timber and has more of an open feeling. However, to me, the better hiking and views are on the east side. Particularly the hiking trails and views in the Many Glacier area. Going to the Sun Road may be open by mid to late June but it is a gamble. If it is not, your only way around the park to visit either side is by US 2 going around the south end of the park. Again, that was all my opinion. There are plenty of good hiking trails and things to see on the west side, but it just seems to be more developed. I have always preferred the east side. Hope this helps.

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

calberry

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LibertyMan wrote:

It depends on what side of the park you want to stay on. In my opinion, the west side where Fish Creek is located is more touristy. Although I have not stayed in Fish Creek myself I did drive through the campground and it has more privacy between the spots from what I remember. The timber is taller and thicker. St. Mary on the east side is more open of a campground with smaller timber and has more of an open feeling. However, to me, the better hiking and views are on the east side. Particularly the hiking trails and views in the Many Glacier area. Going to the Sun Road may be open by mid to late June but it is a gamble. If it is not, your only way around the park to visit either side is by US 2 going around the south end of the park. Again, that was all my opinion. There are plenty of good hiking trails and things to see on the west side, but it just seems to be more developed. I have always preferred the east side. Hope this helps.

Good insight. Thanks.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think positive! GTTSR may be open.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ericosmith

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that it's a lot further to get around to St. Mary's. Don't recall for sure but I'm guessing another 90 minutes or more. Decide on how far you want to travel and what you want to see in the park and let that drive your decision.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to get to the west side from Banff just take the road to Radium Hot Springs then south to a border crossing there which puts you down on the west side of the park. You also get to see the Yolo and Kotenai parks on that side. That's what we did coming back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier Nat'l Park in 5th wheel, June 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS