RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: ST Tires ???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ST Tires ???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Wait, what about the Goodyear Endurance , it’s has a stellar reputation one said, but how’s that possible , at 2 years old .

I agree Sailun is the only one for me , it TRULY has a stellar reputation

The Endurance is popular. However just about any brand tire that is two+ years old shouldn't show any assues yet. Hell many old Carlisle radial trail maypops for past years would last that long. Too early yet but I would bet they will have a better service record than the tires they replaced.
We saw this with the Maxxis ST8008 when they first came out. 3 to 5 years later as they accumulated miles and years of service they started coming up with issues.
The Sailuns 16" load G S637 has been around now in the trucking side, and recentley the rv industry, for over 10 years now. Right now there the holy grail for 16" load g tires for serious haulers...and even rv trailer owners. 10 year service record vs 2+ years service record. Make your own choices.

For 5.2k or lite loaded 6k axle the Bridgestone R238 LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs commercial grade all steel ply carcass would be my pick.

For a max loaded 6k axles or 7k axles the Sailun S637 in a ST235/80-16 G at 4080 lbs capacity.

For heavy loaded 7k and 8k axle the Sailun ST235/85-16 G at 4400 lbs capacity.
Both would be great choices for the job.

WE get these tire help requests all the time with no input what the trailers gvwr or axle ratings are...or the OEM tire sizes and load ranges.

Need a sticky for trailer tire requestion that has all the info so we could give the OP a better less cluttered choices.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another hand up for Endurance...
close to3 years in production, really no issues reported, goodyear name behind as insurance, as they have been good at ponying up for repairs , and made in the USA...

and the other vote is the Saliun, greta reports all over, cheaper,

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

…. Only been out 2 years or so? Launched Feb 2017......

My experience analyzing tire returns for a major tire manufacturer says that it is the summer months that matter and that tire failures peak in the 3rd summer, but you get a good indication after the second summer. That means the Goodyear Endurance has experienced 3 summers with no reported non-road hazard failures.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Another vote for GY Endurance. They've been around long enough for me and their record is excellent regarding blowouts and failures.
The only thing I don't like about them is they are subject to rock mining, where a sharp rock will burrow all the way down to the cords. Most tires wont do this but mine have several places where I can see the silver cords after removing rocks.

Have you contacted GY about the rock issue? Just over two years on mine on boat trailer with no issue like that. In and out of gravel nearly every day in the Summer at boat launches.

I also tow at 70 where possible.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

After having tire problems I ended moving up to G load range, Hartland tires from Discount Tires. Great tires and good price.

Return at 4 years or sooner to let us know how the Chinese Tires worked out.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

laknox wrote:

Why? We don't even know what FW the OP has. Unless he's got a 15k+ rig, why not stick with a good E rated LT like a Michelin Rib or Bridgestone Duravis?

Lyle

A little searching of his posts shows
"We have an 09 Bighorn 3370" That model has a 14K GVWR. I agree on Sailun's for tires. Run them at 80-85 PSI.

Let's assume the RV has 20% pin that is 11,200# on the 4 tires, even less with a higher pin. So that is 2,800# per tire. WHY go to a "G" rated tire when an "E" with a stellar reputation has MORE than enough capacity in every 16" tire they offer?

When you are on the edge as your "E" is maxed out I can see going to a "G" as I did on our Avion Platinum.

[image]

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have a clue how often tires have been discussed on this site????? It has to be over 100.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Does anyone have a clue how often tires have been discussed on this site????? It has to be over 100.

It's an evolving subject!

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Another vote for GY Endurance. They've been around long enough for me and their record is excellent regarding blowouts and failures.
The only thing I don't like about them is they are subject to rock mining, where a sharp rock will burrow all the way down to the cords. Most tires wont do this but mine have several places where I can see the silver cords after removing rocks.

Have you contacted GY about the rock issue? Just over two years on mine on boat trailer with no issue like that. In and out of gravel nearly every day in the Summer at boat launches.

I also tow at 70 where possible.

I haven't contacted them.
FWIW, I'm not sure you can see the damage without getting a straight on view of them. I saw it when I took them all off for balancing.
Frankly, I don't want to deal with GY. They cheated me bad when I was a very young man and couldn't afford it. 30+ years later I stopped in to another GY with a nail in my tire and they tried to tell me it wasn't repairable (I knew better) and tried hard to sell me 4 new tires I didn't need. Took it to Les Schwab and they explained how it was well within the area they could repair. I got a couple more years of service out of that set of tires.
So I really have zero faith in GY and while I might get a new set of Endurance from them some day, I'll also look close at other options.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

So what hasn't been discussed many, many times? A brand new subject is very rare. It's why forums tend to languish after a lot of years. Shoot, go to any auto forum, and you'll see the same thing, or any motorcycle forum, or race forum. Any forum that has lasted more than a couple years generally has the same questions asked and answered.

That's one of the nice things about the "Hide" function: you can easily ignore any post you don't want to read. Works a treat.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ST Tires ???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.