|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Emergency roadside assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a big FMCA fan until they turned into a money grubbing duplication of Good Sam. Now it's $75/year? Now I am even happier. I liked the Motorhome only magazine and the cost was only $50/year (often a 5 year discount was available. I was a member for many years with a f192xxx number. Today, they don't do it for me as I have exactly zero interest in any other vehicle than a motorhome.
I remain a LT Good Sam member (that's free!) and have been extremely happy with the GS roadside service. The 2 times I needed to be towed I was towed to the exact location where the manufacturer recommended service be preformed.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used Coachnet for years...however the new Coachnet WOULD NOT SEND ANYONE ON Labor while we were stuck in a Res area unable to move. They said 8:00 the next the next day they would call someone!! Good Sams, roadside assistance number said our office is closed for the Holiday! I have read others here say we called the wrong number, and thought maybe we had but wife asured ,e it was the number on the card. Happened many years ago too, when we had our fifth wheel tire blown, on a Sunday. Got a call from the provider and said it was too far and Good Sams wouldn't pay much. Called Good Sams again they said they could not find anyone to come.
That was 200 or 2004.
Since thattimewe had good luck with both, which somehow we have.
Coachnet wwill only tow within 200 miles to nearest provider now too.
In 2009 perhaps the old CoachNet sent someone from Rogers Arkansas in the middle of the night 125 miles away to get our towed started and unhooked so we could park the coach, at a campground on a lake, where raccoons came up to the coach, and we heard a cat that night.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I was a big FMCA fan until they turned into a money grubbing duplication of Good Sam. Now it's $75/year? Now I am even happier. I liked the Motorhome only magazine and the cost was only $50/year (often a 5 year discount was available. I was a member for many years with a f192xxx number. Today, they don't do it for me as I have exactly zero interest in any other vehicle than a motorhome.
I remain a LT Good Sam member (that's free!) and have been extremely happy with the GS roadside service. The 2 times I needed to be towed I was towed to the exact location where the manufacturer recommended service be preformed.
You've got a problem. To me, it's not about what you show-up in. It's about having fun. I don't care if you've got tent, pop-up, travel trailer, class A, B, C or converted bus as long as you're good people. Numbers don't lie and the MH market isn't what it used to be. Change or died was the decision FMCA had to make and they made the right one.

The repatriation insurance went way up and membership fees had to go up or drop the coverage. As I said, an individual could not buy a policy with the coverages FMCA Assist offers for anywhere near the cost of membership in FMCA. Add to that, FMCA is the only major non-profit camping club operated for the benefit of it's members. You're lucky to have bought the GS LT membership when you did. Part of the dues in GS pads the pocket of the owner who's only in it for the money. The benefit programs FMCA offers are only there to benefit the membership - not make a profit.

To each his own and I'm glad you're happy. I didn't last long in an FMCA chapter with others that had your beliefs about opening up the membership and I'm happy now too.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have progressive insurance and road service
I also have AAA
And Good Sam emg roadside assistance

Progressive did two tows of our Safari, back to back in 2012, Saturday to an RV dealer
Who could not do the repair when they opened on Monday
Then on Tuesday into Flagstaff on a flat bed trailer tow, to AZ Diesel, who did rebuilt the engine

I have used all three of my services at different times

Very pleased with progressive emg service

I think really depends on who is the tow contractor where you happen to break down

Rather than the brand name of the service seller

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The company I work for we do a lot of road side calls, and on of out biggest problems we are now facing is some of the fifth wheels/ travel trailers we cannot put on a flat deck due to the height, and even putting on a low boy they wont clear bridges.. This has become a big problem when you get broken springs and or axles. We have had to come up with a few creative ways to get some off to a service center.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

You've got a problem. To me, it's not about what you show-up in. It's about having fun. I don't care if you've got tent, pop-up, travel trailer, class A, B, C or converted bus as long as you're good people. Numbers don't lie and the MH market isn't what it used to be. Change or died was the decision FMCA had to make and they made the right one.

The repatriation insurance went way up and membership fees had to go up or drop the coverage. As I said, an individual could not buy a policy with the coverages FMCA Assist offers for anywhere near the cost of membership in FMCA. Add to that, FMCA is the only major non-profit camping club operated for the benefit of it's members. You're lucky to have bought the GS LT membership when you did. Part of the dues in GS pads the pocket of the owner who's only in it for the money. The benefit programs FMCA offers are only there to benefit the membership - not make a profit.

To each his own and I'm glad you're happy. I didn't last long in an FMCA chapter with others that had your beliefs about opening up the membership and I'm happy now too.

I don't have a problem. Just because I am not interested in reading about pop-ups and trailers does not mean I have any kind of distaste for those who own them. I joined Family MOTORCOACH Association because I owned a MOTORCOACH and was interested in topics related to MOTORCOACHES. There's nothing wrong with that. I am also a Good Sam member and already get a magazine related to all types of RV's. I don't need to pay $75/month for a duplicate subscription which only contains limited information on topics I might be interested in.
I am a full timer so the FMCA Assist has no value to me as home is where ever I am located and I really don't need to be sent back to my mail forwarding service address should something happen to me.
Some will certainly find that service an important option but if that's their only real value, they should change their name or become an insurance company.
FMCA has no value TO ME. That is not in any way meant to indicate whether it has any value to anyone else.

JOERVDREAM

quincy, ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I will just keep them both for now. Progressive is only 40 a year. Im not sure what GS is because I received the "free" upgrade to platinum so we'll see when its due again. Im only bummed about not getting a GS sticker. Spent a good part of my life watching RVs going down the road with those and now when I finally own one I don't get a sticker. Whats up with that?

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

DFord wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I don't have a problem. Just because I am not interested in reading about pop-ups and trailers does not mean I have any kind of distaste for those who own them. I joined Family MOTORCOACH Association because I owned a MOTORCOACH and was interested in topics related to MOTORCOACHES. There's nothing wrong with that. I am also a Good Sam member and already get a magazine related to all types of RV's. I don't need to pay $75/month for a duplicate subscription which only contains limited information on topics I might be interested in.
I am a full timer so the FMCA Assist has no value to me as home is where ever I am located and I really don't need to be sent back to my mail forwarding service address should something happen to me.
Some will certainly find that service an important option but if that's their only real value, they should change their name or become an insurance company.
FMCA has no value TO ME. That is not in any way meant to indicate whether it has any value to anyone else.

Just a fact check for others the FMCA dues are $75 per YEAR and not per month as stated above.

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Good Sam E R S. We were towed twice on the same trip. They did their best and we were very satisfied with the service!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Emergency roadside assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS