RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Question for full timers...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Question for full timers...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP: Do you want that with or without depreciation? I had a poster here argue that if you never plan to sell your rig then there is no depreciation.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$2500/month is a reasonable number but way too much variability to give you an idea if that will work for you without telling us how you want to travel.
- A DP is one of the more expensive options.
- How many miles do you want to cover per week/month?
- Do you do maintenance yourself or hire it all out?
- Do you stay for a week/month at a park or only a night or two or boondock for free?
- How much will you spend on tourist attractions?
- How often will you eat out?
- Hobbies that cost money?
- Will you be keeping the house and associated items?

What we did was took our household budget and modified it to reflect our estimate of what we thought our costs will be. That came out pretty close.

A few thoughts:
- It's full time not a vacation, you don't have to put in 2000miles per week. We shoot for 100-150miles per day 2-3 times per week with occasional week/month stationary.
- We've done the boat thing also. You don't need to cross oceans to take incredible trips. Google the Great Loop. It comes with it's own challenges but no need to cross oceans on a 40' boat.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are asking for the impossible. Costs are going to vary hugely depending on lifestyle. I am sure some couples living in a van conversion spend more than others in a Class A.

Here is where I would start. First consider "fixed" costs; e.g., RV insurance and payment if any, healthcare insurance, food, personal items, mail service, etc. We also had a $200/mo charge since we had a lot of items in storage.

Next look at direct travel related expenses: e.g, fuel, maintenance, tires, tolls. Again, this will vary all over the place depending on the number of miles you drive. We traveled a lot so this was a major item for us, around $1500/month.

The next big variable I would look at is the costs of camping. We had solar panels and rarely needed a generator. We almost never stayed in RV parks or expensive campgrounds with hook ups. Most of our stays were in National Parks with a senior pass or on BLM or equivalent campgrounds. We averaged $7/night. We also spent almost nothing on generator gas, maybe $5/month. We camped in warm locations so a $20 propane refill would last for a month or two.

We also expected to spend a significant amount on entertainment, entry fees, eating out, etc. That turned out to be insignificant with a senior pass giving free admission.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

md80max wrote:

My question is related to the annual cost of living full time in a class A diesel pusher. Now I recognize there are many variables and highly subjective. Just looking for what the realities are of the annual cost of living full time in an RV.

Check out this Escapees poll.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up Next Exit and Dan & Jen Nevada on YouTube. They both have periodic videos on their costs to full time.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

md80max

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it!

You all gave me what I was looking for.

Max

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Question for full timers...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS