RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How many volts....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many volts....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charging is one thing, having the batteries hold a charge overnight is another. I wouldn't be planning any trips with those batteries until I was sure they'd hold. Having them dry and dead is not a good start.

Some chargers will not charge stone dead batteries, which those almost are.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freewayrandy wrote:

If we were to get the gen fired up, that should charge the batts. too, right?

Not likely since shore power doesn't. Either one is supposed to provide 120v power to the charger that does the house battery bank.

The gen probably uses the house battery bank as its own battery to start the gen. But those batteries are maybe dead.

Does the engine start and run? If so, the alternator should send 12v power back to the house systems, and that might help with starting the generator.

You might start the gen from jumper cables from the house batts to a car battery if you can park close enough.

If you guys know anybody with a MH, he could help check things out.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a CHARGING CHART that may have some useful info for you...

[image]

I use the PD-9260C Charger for charging my battery banks...

Roy Ken
[image]

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you only tested one battery, you might get a 6.5 volt reading. You have to test where both batteries exit the battery bank. If it was charging at 13 volts, you might get 6.5 on one battery. Two six volt batteries in series creates 12 volt. You have to test at the beginning an end of the battery series. You maybe understand that. A reading of six volts on a 12 volt system is dead dead dead. If it was actually only 6.5 volts, it doubtful the steps would have even operated at all. Considering the batteries were so low on fluid, they may well be done, and that is why when under load they failed. Try putting distilled water in and recharging. Have them load tested if they are still not performing correctly.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From an owner's manual
Float voltage (Flooded wet cells) 13.5
Absorption: 14.4 to 14.8

Bulk it will matter where you measure the voltage but at the Charger it should be in the absorption range unless the charger is also an inverter and the batteries are sucking full load.. I have two "Converters' one is an inverter within 3 00gauge feet of the batteries and the other is a 80 amp converter (Which I prefer) that's about 50 feet of what looks like abou 2 ga from the batteries. that last one there is a bunch of drop as it makes the trip.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Depending on the soc of the batteries, anything from 12.7 to 14.1

Where did this come from ? When you obviously don't know the answer, don't answer !
Most anyone knows that 12.7 is not a charging voltage. Charging voltage would be between 13.2 and 14.6. Any charger that shows a 12.7 output is junk. BTW, wasn't that the question ?

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

freewayrandy

'Old Hangtown', Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Final result....batteries are gone.

2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 2018 Grand Design Momentum 328, 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500, 2018 Polaris RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many volts....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS