|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slideout Mechanism

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
scarecrow56

palm bay, fl

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I look for a new TT I see a few different types of mech. Schwinntech with 2 tracks top and bottom, A cable system and, I believe, the old gear and gear bar under the slide. Any thoughts on which is the good, the bad and the ugly? Thanks

Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My original gear and bar gearbox just died. Looks like it may cost close to $1000 to get it fixed. Just sayin'.
BTW I would not select a camper based solely or largely on the slide mechanism. Liveability would be my main criterion.

* This post was edited 10/07/19 03:55pm by Dick_B *

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only had rack and pinion system, but have read about other systems, and seems the gear driven bar type has the least issues/needing less adjustments. However you can get good/bad with most anything.

Jerry

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had good luck with the rack and pinion system. It's easy to adjust and simple to repair.
Our current rig has the latest Schwintek system (top and botom rails) and seems to be doing great. I did a lot of reasearch before buying an RV with this system and from what I read, the latest incarnation works well. It's hi-tech and Lippert - two terms that dont go well together but it looks like they've finally got something right.

* This post was edited 10/07/19 10:02am by ScottG *

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the Schwintek system in my camper for the last 6 years. So far , it's been fine.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a picture of my brother's trailer with a Schwintek slide. The slide was a mechanical disaster from day one and was replaced entirely twice before he gave up and traded the trailer. I would run from any trailer with a Schwintek slide.
[image]

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never choose this type of slide for a full 3’ slide. Just fine for smaller slides but for the main full slide, always rack and pinion.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Schwintek was designed for smaller, less deep slides. Some manufacturers, especially early on, did not read and understand the design notes and used it in inappropriate applications. Today most problems and mis-applications have been resolved. Cable driven systems have some packaging advantages but at least some recent designs have had problems with oil leaking from the drive system, and unfortunately dripping onto the roof of the slide leading to damaged rubber slide roofs. Rack and pinion is generally the most robust system but can not always be accommodated in the desired packaging. Overall most systems in place today are fairly robust as it's not in anyone's interest to have major mechanical systems breaking.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 Schwintek slides. The large one always strains to open or close. I noticed Grand Design went to a rack system on the larger slides on new trailers.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Schwintek was designed for smaller, less deep slides. Some manufacturers, especially early on, did not read and understand the design notes and used it in inappropriate applications. Today most problems and mis-applications have been resolved. Cable driven systems have some packaging advantages but at least some recent designs have had problems with oil leaking from the drive system, and unfortunately dripping onto the roof of the slide leading to damaged rubber slide roofs. Rack and pinion is generally the most robust system but can not always be accommodated in the desired packaging. Overall most systems in place today are fairly robust as it's not in anyone's interest to have major mechanical systems breaking.

Absolutely. I can't imagine a Schwintek on a large slide. The slide on my TT is fairly small and light. Works great, but I wouldn't trust it on a large slide. Also, people need to remember to hold the retract button in for a few seconds after the slide stops to ensure it stays in sync.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Slideout Mechanism
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.