RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheel with largest tanks

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5th wheel with largest tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
pinesman

virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning. My current rig is a 2003 Crossroads Cruiser, 31' with 60 gallon fresh, black, gray, and galley tanks. As I get closer to retirement, I think i might want to upgrade to something newer but I want something in the same size range with the same tank sizes. Self leveling would be an added plus also. Does anyone have any recommendations for something like that? Thanks.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When shopping for our 5th wheel anything with less than 75gal FW tank was crossed off the possibility list. This cut the pack down considerably.

At the time the few offering decent tankage were Mobile Suite 100gal, Carriage 100gal & Alpenlite 100gal. These days getting a large capacity tank is tougher than ever. Builders seem to think that nobody wants to dry camp in comfort. We do. We go to things like bluegrass festivals, short track racing, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, trips to Alaska etc. all requiring multiple days 'on the hook' dry camping.

You don't have to fill that tank but when you need the capacity it sure is nice to have it right under your feet.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2016 redwood had a 102 gallon FW tank.. My 2020 Redwood only has 65 gallons...

I asked the rep why, he stated that the majority of people buying them do NOT boon dock according to their research ??


Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet


lee worsdell

elmvale

Senior Member

Joined: 01/31/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a rushmore with 112 loved it. Went to a newer highcountry down to 50

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/07/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too lament my smallish tanks. Maybe with all the content manufacturers are offering in their fifth wheels they are pushing the payload capacities of their frames and running gear. Hauling an additional thousand pounds of fluids can't help. Toy haulers generally have larger holding tanks.

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinesman wrote:

Good morning. My current rig is a 2003 Crossroads Cruiser, 31' with 60 gallon fresh, black, gray, and galley tanks. As I get closer to retirement, I think i might want to upgrade to something newer but I want something in the same size range with the same tank sizes. Self leveling would be an added plus also. Does anyone have any recommendations for something like that? Thanks.


That was one of the things that really turned me off to a lot of rigs when I was shopping a few years ago. My old FW, relatively small, had 3 45 gal tanks. While it's easy to haul extra fresh water for boondocking and you can, if needed, dump a grey tank (legalities aside), you can't dump a black tank. When I was shopping, my #2 choice would have had me giving up 13 gal of black capacity. NOT conducive to more than 2-3 days of dry camping, unless you just poop in the woods. If that was our preference, we wouldn't have bought the FW in the first place. I ended up gaining capacity on all 3 tanks with my KZ. Not only this, but whatever the mfr's brochure and web site says, what you actually get may be significantly different. I recently read about a guy who's FW was advertised with a 60+ gal fresh tank, but ended up with a rig that only has a 45 gal tank, as measured with a meter as it filled. That fine print of "specifications may change without notice" gets them off the hook legally, but morally, that mfr is a POS, IMO.

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

My 2016 redwood had a 102 gallon FW tank.. My 2020 Redwood only has 65 gallons...

I asked the rep why, he stated that the majority of people buying them do NOT boon dock according to their research ??


G*d forbid that they at least offer the option of a larger tank(s). :-( Right next to the optional disc brakes; oh, wait...

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how well a "dry camping package" would sell? Take an existing floorplan, cut out some of the frills, bump up the tank sizes, add a couple hundred watts of solar and extra batteries.

Lyle

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

My 2016 redwood had a 102 gallon FW tank.. My 2020 Redwood only has 65 gallons...

I asked the rep why, he stated that the majority of people buying them do NOT boon dock according to their research ??


G*d forbid that they at least offer the option of a larger tank(s). :-( Right next to the optional disc brakes; oh, wait...

Lyle


At least Redwood offers the disc brakes as an option. Now to get them to offer the Morryde IS as an option as well...[emoticon]

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I wonder how well a "dry camping package" would sell? Take an existing floorplan, cut out some of the frills, bump up the tank sizes, add a couple hundred watts of solar and extra batteries.

Lyle


Great idea Lyle,,,,

that's probably why they don't offer it, because its a good idea,,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > 5th wheel with largest tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS