|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Blow-by Yamaha ef3000ise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is the crank case vent in relation to the stain on the air filter?

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

keithahl

canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, the vent is 180 degrees from the stain. The stain sits above the intake, which as far as I can tell pulls air from inside the case. (probably as a sort of conditioned air thing as there is no cold weather kit available.) So the incoming air obviously has dust in it, hence the filter, and the oil is saturated in the lower half of the filter so the dust gets trapped there in the oil - leaving the dark spot...and undoubtedly darkness from older oil.

* This post was edited 10/08/19 07:14pm by keithahl *

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keithahl wrote:

Chum Lee: Fair enough, but still pretty oily. I can squeeze it out from the paper filters foam edge. (not the sleeve, but the foam attached to the filter edges that seat against the housing). When I run a towel into the filter grooves it comes out oily. Not sure if that is the way it should be or not. Overreacting?...possibly. All I know is it had never done this prior. She is running fine, no smoke, or at least none that makes me worry. It starts fine, the output is fine.
You know you are blowing my chances of convincing my wife we should have this:
http://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/Perkins-6-kW-Diesel-Generator.asp?page=P6125

I'll get another filter and see.

OK, I didn't realize that you cleaned the filter in the photo up, . . . . at least a little. It doesn't really look that bad. With that low of hours, there shouldn't be any oil dripping off the air filter or the foam seals on the ends of the filter. Find the crankcase breather and make sure its clear and that all the piping/venting is connected properly and flowing. Some Onan gennys had a TSB (technical service bulletin) to modify the breather, but, that shouldn't affect your model. (since it's a Yamaha) Are you using the correct oil and filling it to the proper level? (not overfull)

Chum lee

keithahl

canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum Lee wrote:

Are you using the correct oil and filling it to the proper level? (not overfull)

Interesting question as this has bothered me from day one. First I am using the correct oil but have never once been comfortable with how Yamaha describes in the manual to fill it. There is an image even of the oil coming all the way up to the last thread in the dipstick fill port. I asked the shop where I got it if this was correct and they said yes. I still think its a little bit too much. Or at least why they wouldn't have placed the dipstick port slightly higher. But I'm not an engineer, so what do I know?!

keithahl

canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum Lee wrote:

With that low of hours, there shouldn't be any oil dripping...

Nice to hear you feel the hours are low. I am really hoping I can get at least a couple thousand hours out of her. I know I have read people get long life out of them, but I run mine flat out for about an hour or two a few times a week for about 4 months out of the year.
I'm sure that doesn't do it any favours

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Confusing statement about the oil level. Are you filling it by capacity or dipstick mark ? No matter what the place where you got it says, NEVER fill above dipstick level or you could get the problem you have

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

keithahl

canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey RJ
Yah tell me about it!
I fill by the suggested volume +/- a tiny bit that I can't drain out.
The manual shows this:
[image]

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Above is a perfect candidate for blowing oil all over the place !!
Some engines will tolerate it, some won't......trust me !
What the hell is the dipstick for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Blow-by Yamaha ef3000ise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS