|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator pros and cons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Honda twins. I don't use them nearly as often in the past six or seven years, and they sit dry for most of the year unused. When I need one or both, all I do is fill the gas tank, pull once or twice, and they fire up.

The trick to any generator being reliable is not to store them wet... I always run the tank dry until it kills itself, or use a fuel shutoff valve to the carb.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

The trick to any generator being reliable is not to store them wet... I always run the tank dry until it kills itself, or use a fuel shutoff valve to the carb.

Pure gasoline, or my preferred liquid, AvGas, and you don't worry about it [emoticon]

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or for reasonable periods of time, cut off the gas valve, run until the gas in the carburetor is used up and it stalls. Add StaBil to the fuel in the tank.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my Honda 2000 once or twice a year. Does what I need. I follow the manuals instruction for storage; full gas tank with stabil, drain the carb, and it's good for up to a year. Pull a few times to get gas through the carb & she starts.

Also used it when my house lost power for 3 1/2 days. Ran extension cords to power fridge, sat tv, computer, lights, and my neighbors fridge and a light. I used an extended tank to run it for over a day before refueling. I'm thinking of having a transfer switch installed or getting the furnace powerline altered to have a plug end so I could use an extension cord for it.

Camper8251

Gallatin Valley MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased a duromax 2200 Generator from lowes for under 600.00
https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/du........gital-inverter-hybrid-portable-generator
Dual Fuel built in.. Only have run it on propane so far but it seems quiet and runs really well.

I have not tried to see if it will fire up the A/c Unit on my TT but I am happy with the purchase...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DuroMax-2200-Wa........l-Inverter-Portable-Generator/1000939848

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

DSchmidt_2000

Ventura

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who are ham radio operators, and thus ARRL members, you can get a really good deal on Honda generators.

Mayberry's runs an ad in QST for this, and we get a great deal from them. You can't get the best price unless you tell them you read their ad in QST and you're a ham radio operator.

https://www.mayberrys.com/

I didn't renew my ARRL membership. What's the discount Mayberry gives for ARRL members?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator pros and cons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS