RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Do Flea Collars Really Repel Pests?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do Flea Collars Really Repel Pests?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

no cat. looking for point of entry, too. two different issues, though. the mice and whether a flea collar can really repel other pests as the tip stated. apologies for my poorly worded post.

i doubt the mice found their way in via the water heater...evidence was in a closet drawer and under kitchen sink...mostly in the closet drawer.

I didn't address that my error. I've heard about the flea collar too.
Works on bugs, rodents?

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If flea collars repelled pests

I would wear one just to keep the beggars and Politicals away

When I go to the grocery. [emoticon]

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT

samsontdog">">

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

samsontdog wrote:

I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT

[emoticon]

Admin

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a spider build a web in the mixing tube close to the LP jet in the water heater overnight back in 2006.

I have placed used pieces of flea & tick collar in the hot water & furnace bays ever since and have never had a spider issue again.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about flea collars repelling bugs, spiders, etc. But no pest strips work quite well. We keep them in our basement storage area all the time. You can get the Home Defense brand but we use a generic that works just as well. You just have to look for it in the animal meds/treatments section instead of the lawn and garden section. At least that is where we find it at our local farm store.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

samsontdog wrote:

That's why newer TTs have eliminated the "mouse hole" by going with removable shore power cords.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

I had a spider build a web in the mixing tube close to the LP jet in the water heater overnight back in 2006.

I have placed used pieces of flea & tick collar in the hot water & furnace bays ever since and have never had a spider issue again.

I too had this happen, about ten years ago. I did nothing, and haven't had a problem since...

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My BIL's job required him to sometimes walk into tall grass. He kept a couple of flea collars in zip-locks in the work truck. Before he went in the weeds he would use the collars around pant leg/boot top. He claims it reduces chiggers and ticks. But it could just be sealing the gap...

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

AJR wrote:

I too had this happen, about ten years ago. I did nothing, and haven't had a problem since...

we had a spider's web in the burner tube a couple of years ago that I missed and which resulted in a small fire. the problem with any remedy like no-pest strips or flea collars is judging their effectiveness vs. either doing nothing or frequent inspections.

it's like the old joke...a fellow's house was trashed by a stampeding herd of elephants so his neighbor puts up a sign in the yard, "No Elephants". it must've worked since there've been no more elephants in the neighborhood.

there's no way to know, apart from scientific experiments, whether any of these things work but I guess they can't hurt either.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do Flea Collars Really Repel Pests?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS