RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > RVs and California's Planned Power Outages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a class C a couple of times we used its genny to keep the house fridge cold during power outages from Hurricanes.
Also, if you still use a landline, make sure you have one old style corded phone, that cordless is useless without power to the base.
For water, just plan ahead, save water in a bathtub for toilet flushing, and fill as many containers as available for drinking and cooking.

Also, for the ones who bought into the EV idea, charge up, and there will be no topping off for a while.

I know these items seem obvious, but people forget how much we depend on the utility companies and I have seen a lot of folks not consider these basic things.

jplante4

Cape Cod

Moderator

Joined: 07/29/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although considered a vacation paradise, Cape Cod is a third world country when it comes to infrastructure (unless you wear Spandex and ride a bike). When I first moved here, power went out any time the wind speed went above 25 knots. I finally got sick of the uncertainty and installed a natural gas generator to power the critical circuits in the house. I think it costs me about $5k in 2001.

Whenever the power went out and the Generac kicked in, I would go outside and do my "Screw You NStar" dance. Within 2 years all of my neighbors followed suit.

The Sahara sits in a storage lot 3 miles away when not on an adventure. Within an hour I can have the essentials on the bus and be off-Cape in 10 minutes to 3 hours depending on how much traffic is in the 1 mile between the storage yard and the bridge. Like I said, it's a third world country.


Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/10/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

When I had a class C a couple of times we used its genny to keep the house fridge cold during power outages from Hurricanes.
Also, if you still use a landline, make sure you have one old style corded phone, that cordless is useless without power to the base.
For water, just plan ahead, save water in a bathtub for toilet flushing, and fill as many containers as available for drinking and cooking.

Also, for the ones who bought into the EV idea, charge up, and there will be no topping off for a while.

I know these items seem obvious, but people forget how much we depend on the utility companies and I have seen a lot of folks not consider these basic things.


Re the EVers. Tesla sent a message to all the cars that would be in the affected areas reminding them to charge to 100 percent the night before. Kinda cool that they can target just thise people. I imagine it is done by GPS data. No idea really.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines
But when PG&E sends out tree trimmers residents send lawyers "THey are ruining our trees" and now that they are turning off power "They are spoiling our food" will be the lawyer's claim.. Sadly I suspect the residents will pitch a complaint if they bury the lines too.. but .. Well..


Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377


hypoxia

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 04/29/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I have read some RVs use the on board generator to power their home when needed.

It's fairly easy. If you decide to power the house circuitry instead of extension cords to the refrigerator, etc. you have to turn the main breaker off to keep from back feeding the utility.


Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

jy

south east mich.

Senior Member

Joined: 01/17/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ar least they are giving you a heads up that you may loose power,so you can be prepared.Here in the midwest we have had storms blow through and have lost power for several days.I personally have a generator and keep 10 to 15 gallons of gas on hand which I rotate for fresh gas every few months.


99 Coachmen 322QB, Ford V10,18 foot Load King open trailer, 2007 Mustang GT Toad, Gibson exhaust,Royal Purple lubricants.Recently retired and planning on doing more RV'ing.


discovery4us

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/19/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always kept my RV's filled and ready to go for a getaway or an emergency situation. One of the benefits of not having to winterize. Also have a small generator to run a refrigerator or other appliance as needed.

As a CA resident that has been paying the constant rate increases and surcharges for utility maintenance and upgrades it infuriates me that PG&E's maintenance solution is to turn power off. Sure would be nice for the only business in town to be held accountable for showing how these funds were used.

MrWizard

Traveling

Moderator

Joined: 06/27/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/10/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines
But when PG&E sends out tree trimmers residents send lawyers "THey are ruining our trees" and now that they are turning off power "They are spoiling our food" will be the lawyer's claim.. Sadly I suspect the residents will pitch a complaint if they bury the lines too.. but .. Well..


Part of what you say is true

Although I don't think Any Utility in the this Nation
Buries 100,000 volt grid transmission lines in open country

And this is what is being discussed
These are the lines being whipped back and forth and snapping, and falling to the ground, sparking fires


Radiate The Happy
....

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s


toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The explained reason for the length of the outages is because before they can turn the power back on, they have to visually check ALL the lines to ensure they haven't been damaged during the winds. If they don't do the visual check, then cutting the power may have been a wasted effort.

Many streetlights now have backup power, so they won't be affected by the outages. For those that are affected, treat them as a four way stop sign intersection.

PG&E is trying to prevent another horrid forest fire. They are working on improving their lines, but with the number of lines in their territory, that is a huge amount of work. Give them some time to get the work done and don't whinge because you are inconvenienced for a few days. Better than another major disaster or loss of life to PG&E workers because they had to rush through things to appease us.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

Learning more about this every day
IT would be best to properly trim trees and maintain lines.
Or bury the lines
But when PG&E sends out tree trimmers residents send lawyers "THey are ruining our trees" and now that they are turning off power "They are spoiling our food" will be the lawyer's claim.. Sadly I suspect the residents will pitch a complaint if they bury the lines too.. but .. Well..


Part of what you say is true

Although I don't think Any Utility in the this Nation
Buries 100,000 volt grid transmission lines in open country

And this is what is being discussed
These are the lines being whipped back and forth and snapping, and falling to the ground, sparking fires


True. And think of the work required to bury all those lines. People are whinging over a few days of inconvenience. Burying the lines would require years of digging up roads, properties, etc. No way will people just sit back for that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > RVs and California's Planned Power Outages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS