RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Route the one circuit directly to the inverter and plug it into the inverter output receptacle.
Most inverters have a feed through circuit which would provide power through the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

The neutrals would be from different power sources and must be kept separate.
The inverter neutral should (shall) be grounded where the shore power connection cannot be grounded in the rig and must be complete separate.

Enblethen, thanks for the info. Another feature of the Multiplus is that it opens its ground relay when receiving shore power, thus relying on the shore power ground. And then when shore power is disconnected, the Multiplus uses its own ground to the rig. So it smartly switches between grounding in the rig and grounding through the shore power connection.

Does that change the thinking at all?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP,

What you may be missing is that charger/inverters switch both the neutral and hot line and the output neutral and ground are bonded when inverting (only).

You will also need to split the neutral in the panel and run a 2nd neutral from the inverter output to the panel. And there may be other considerations.

As Mayer said it can be done but not recommended.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should not run the neutral from the inverter as they are floating in many cases and it "could" put current back into thew shore power cord.
Joe: it does not change anything in my mind. It must be kept separate.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joe6789 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Multiplus is the Victron that combines power with a limited source to boost as needed right?

I don't see the circumstances in a 50 amp RV where this is a benefit. Are you plugging into 15 amp limited utility power? Are you trying to run a big RV with a single Honda 2200? Need to understand what you are attempting to accomplish.

Time2roll, you are correct. The Multiplus can supplement short power with inverted battery power simultaneously. However, I don't expect to need that feature. I will usually either be connected to 50A shore power or boondocking off batteries (with occasional generator use).

I bought the Multiplus because it is a combined inverter plus battery charger, has good quality and reputation, and was recommended for charging lithium batteries (which my existing converter can't do well).

I am looking for the simplest installation. It seems like splitting the existing breaker panel is easier than installing a subpanel, which would require finding a place for a whole new panel and extending a bunch of the circuit wiring. Most of the circuits I want to run off the inverter are already on the same leg in my existing box, so I thought it would be relatively simple to just run the one leg through the inverter and leave the other leg as-is.

But the fact that there's just one shared neutral wire for both hot legs is where I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help!
Page 35 Appendix D shows the split phase installation. However you are just installing the single unit instead of two.

Diagram shows ground running through the unit also but it is not switched so the in/out are bonded. Appendix B

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/doc........anual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-120V-EN.pdf

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

joe6789 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Multiplus is the Victron that combines power with a limited source to boost as needed right?

I don't see the circumstances in a 50 amp RV where this is a benefit. Are you plugging into 15 amp limited utility power? Are you trying to run a big RV with a single Honda 2200? Need to understand what you are attempting to accomplish.

Time2roll, you are correct. The Multiplus can supplement short power with inverted battery power simultaneously. However, I don't expect to need that feature. I will usually either be connected to 50A shore power or boondocking off batteries (with occasional generator use).

I bought the Multiplus because it is a combined inverter plus battery charger, has good quality and reputation, and was recommended for charging lithium batteries (which my existing converter can't do well).

I am looking for the simplest installation. It seems like splitting the existing breaker panel is easier than installing a subpanel, which would require finding a place for a whole new panel and extending a bunch of the circuit wiring. Most of the circuits I want to run off the inverter are already on the same leg in my existing box, so I thought it would be relatively simple to just run the one leg through the inverter and leave the other leg as-is.

But the fact that there's just one shared neutral wire for both hot legs is where I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help!
Page 35 Appendix D shows the split phase installation. However you are just installing the single unit instead of two.

Diagram shows ground running through the unit also but it is not switched so the in/out are bonded. Appendix B

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/doc........anual-MultiPlus-Compact-2000-120V-EN.pdf

Time2roll, thanks for digging into the MultiPlus manual. I did see that diagram earlier but I wasn't sure how to adapt it since I'm using only one inverter instead of two.

Can you please help me interpret how I would apply that diagram to my single-inverter setup? Let's say AC line 1 goes into the inverter and then out to the breaker panel. AC line 2 would have no inverter and go straight to the breaker panel.

In the diagram, the neutral is branched going into both inverters and then re-merged afterwards. Would I likewise need to branch the neutral wire, with one going through the inverter and the other going straight to the breaker panel? I've received some advice that the two neutral lines would have to be isolated, but in this diagram they are not, so I'm not sure what to believe there.

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For reference, here's a snapshot of the official diagram for split phase wiring from the Victron Multiplus 2000 manual:
[image]
http://i.imgur.com/A1tWncz.png

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

OP,

What you may be missing is that charger/inverters switch both the neutral and hot line and the output neutral and ground are bonded when inverting (only).

You will also need to split the neutral in the panel and run a 2nd neutral from the inverter output to the panel. And there may be other considerations.

As Mayer said it can be done but not recommended.

CA Traveler, thanks for your input. I also read your guidance in a similar post from a couple years ago.

Regarding the Jack Mayer instructions, it seemed like the only reason he recommended against splitting the load center was because transfer switches are often rated for only 30A. But the Victron MultiPlus transfer switch is 50A, so I don't think there's an issue. He also warns against having imbalanced legs, but this also won't be a concern for me. So are there other big reasons not to use the "splitting the load center" method? It seems so much easier than creating a new sub-panel.

Thanks for clarifying about the charger/inverters switching both hot and neutral, and the neutral/ground bond. It seems that these are both good things. What are the implications of that when doing the wiring?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joe6789 wrote:

I did see that diagram earlier but I wasn't sure how to adapt it since I'm using only one inverter instead of two.

Can you please help me interpret how I would apply that diagram to my single-inverter setup? Let's say AC line 1 goes into the inverter and then out to the breaker panel. AC line 2 would have no inverter and go straight to the breaker panel.

In the diagram, the neutral is branched going into both inverters and then re-merged afterwards. Would I likewise need to branch the neutral wire, with one going through the inverter and the other going straight to the breaker panel? I've received some advice that the two neutral lines would have to be isolated, but in this diagram they are not, so I'm not sure what to believe there.
The single neutral would go through the inverter. When the inverter senses power from the line the relay closes to pass through power and charge the battery. L1 and N will both pass through the inverter. L2 goes direct to panel with no change.

I understand what you mean. Might be best to call Victron and confirm. I don't think you will have any trouble.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you will put 2 air conditioners and the electric water heater on L2 and the rest on L1 through the inverter. Possibly the fridge would be moved off a branch circuit onto L2. Disable the converter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS