RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no reduction in risk by adding a 2nd, 3rd or 10th circuit breaker in series.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

There is no reduction in risk by adding a 2nd, 3rd or 10th circuit breaker in series.

What about when a short circuit occurs (and thus the breaker would no longer be in series)? Suppose there is a short in the wires before the breaker panel. In that case huge amounts of current could flow through the MultiPlus charger/inverter without tripping the breaker. If I add a fuse or additional breaker between the power source and the MultiPlus, then the Multiplus would be protected.

I'm not an expert but basing this off what I've learned online. Please let me know if that logic is wrong, or if the risk of the type of short circuit I'm describing is too low to warrant installing an additional breaker.

Thanks.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 50 amp double pole breaker in the rig is a main breaker with the handles tied to gether.
If you are set on modifying the existing panel as stated, you would need to remove the existing double pole breaker and install one 50 amp single pole breakers to feed the primary buss. Then install a breaker in the second buss and back-feed into the buss from the inverter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a short.... the pedestal breaker will open at the same speed as the added breaker.
No melted wires, no harm to the inverter.

If you are talking about inverted power... the inverter will cut power from the overload as part of the normal internal function.

Keep the wire placement clean and professional and you will have no issues.

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

The 50 amp double pole breaker in the rig is a main breaker with the handles tied to gether.
If you are set on modifying the existing panel as stated, you would need to remove the existing double pole breaker and install one 50 amp single pole breakers to feed the primary buss. Then install a breaker in the second buss and back-feed into the buss from the inverter.

Why is it necessary to have two single pole breakers rather than using the existing double pole breaker? Seems like I should be able to run both lines into the existing double pole breaker, one of which routes through the inverter first.

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If there is a short.... the pedestal breaker will open at the same speed as the added breaker.
No melted wires, no harm to the inverter.

If you are talking about inverted power... the inverter will cut power from the overload as part of the normal internal function.

Keep the wire placement clean and professional and you will have no issues.

Thanks, that sounds nice and simple!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shore power cords both legs are connected to the 50 amp main breaker. Yes, you could disconnect the second leg, tape it up. I do not remember what size breaker your inverter wants to feed it. I am guessing something like a 20 amp.

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm back with a follow-up question, this time about the DC side.

I'm seeing my DC voltage drop to 1 or 2 volts when I've hooked up both the Victron inverter/charger and the DC loads, with all AC wiring completely disconnected. Specifically, positive terminal of battery has one wire going to the inverter/charger positive and one wire going to the positive bus bar, while similarly the negative terminal of the battery has one wire to the inverter/charger negative and one wire to the negative bus bar. Neither the inverter/charger nor the DC loads function when both are connected, since 1 to 2 volts is too low.

Battery is fully charged. I see 13V when I disconnect the inverter/charger and only connect the DC loads (e.g. lights). Likewise, I see 13V when I disconnect the DC loads and only connect the inverter/charger. But when BOTH the DC loads and inverter/charger are connected, the voltage across the positive and negative sides drops to 1 to 2 volts.

Any ideas what's wrong?

I'm thinking it's related the inverter being grounded to chassis and the negative bus bar for the DC loads also being grounded to chassis. Note I have not yet hooked up any AC wiring to the inverter/charger, so the issue must be contained on the DC side.

Again, would appreciate if others with more experience could chime in.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dropping 1 or 2 volts is too much for no load. Dropping to 1 or 2 volts is a defective battery or open connection. Where exactly are you measuring the voltage? Inverter should pull no more than 2 amps at idle that might show 0.1 volt drop in battery voltage.

joe6789

TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

dropping 1 or 2 volts is too much for no load. Dropping to 1 or 2 volts is a defective battery or open connection. Where exactly are you measuring the voltage? Inverter should pull no more than 2 amps at idle that might show 0.1 volt drop in battery voltage.

Yes, I believe it's some sort of open connection, possibly between the ground of the inverter and the ground of the DC load bus bar.

When only the inverter is hooked to the battery, the battery stays at ~13 volts and 0.7 amps are drawn by the inverter at idle.

The problem is only when I hook up both the inverter and the normal DC loads -- then the voltage essentially drops to 0. I'm measuring voltage between the positive and negative terminal of the battery. As soon as I hook all the cables up, the multimeter actually shows about 6 volts, but then a second later drops to 5 volts, and continues dropping to 4 volts, 3 volts... and settles at 1 or 2 volts after about 10 seconds.

If I disconnect the inverter or disconnect the DC loads, the battery voltage jumps back up to 13 volts and everything functions normally.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Wiring neutral/ground when splitting panel for MultiPlus?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS