RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Golferdude21

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had my travel trailer winterized for the winter. I want to exercise the generator one more time before it goes into storage for winter....and by doing this, i will need to put a good electric load on it. Am I able to run the A/C without affecting any of the winterization I just had done?? Might be a stupid question, but i know the A/C has condensation and water that builds up and runs off the camper. Just didn't know if it affected any pipes or anything inside the camper.
Thanks in Advance

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running the A/C will not hurt any of the plumbing since there's no connection between them. If the humidity is low enough, there may not be any significant condensation anyway.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No harm running the AC, but Gen sets should be exercised monthly not just once before storage.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running the A/C won't hurt the thing or affect winterizing since winterizing an AC amounts to cleaning the filters.

HOWEVER DO NOT RUN A/C IF BELOW FREEZING OUT.

Space heaters. on low.. up to 4 (depending on generator) each on a seperate breaker.. That works

Space heaters (2) on high may work however they may also damage the outlets. Have seen 3 so far (one in my own rv) damaged by a space heater load

Now have special outlets in my RV for those (15/20 amp, 12 ga wire bent around a screw, not punch down and one outlet to a breaker)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Golferdude21

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeeze I didnt realize this. I always used to just use the propane heater to heat until last weekend when i read that most people use a space heater when on shore power to save propane. So i used a small1 on high so 1500watts and worked good. Didnt think that ud have outlet problems frim wiring w just one....WOW. We had it goin overnight too...??

Golferdude21

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess i should probably take that outlet off to make sure no wires are messed up huh?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You want to warm up the generator, drive out the moisture. You do not need to put on a load, just let the generator run 15 minutes or so.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golferdude21 wrote:

Jeeze I didnt realize this. I always used to just use the propane heater to heat until last weekend when i read that most people use a space heater when on shore power to save propane. So i used a small1 on high so 1500watts and worked good. Didnt think that ud have outlet problems frim wiring w just one....WOW. We had it goin overnight too...??

Maybe it depends on your trailer, but I’ve run a space heater on high for years on mine without issue.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the way these RV's are thrown together I don't doubt that from time to time an outlet has been installed with the wiring not inserted correctly. But that of course does not mean that every outlet is installed incorrectly and therefore a problem. I have run a 1500 watt space heater in my trailer for many years with no problems and I will continue to do so. If you're really concerned you would have to unplug or turn off the generator and pull the outlet out of the wall to inspect. See if there are signs of heat damage like burnt or discolored wire insulation or melting in the plastic near the wire contact points. If no damage push the outlet back into the wall and don't worry about it.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golferdude, you could use a little time learning the concepts of your camper systems. Will help you down the road. (Literally and figuratively).
Why do you need to “exercise” the genny 1 more time?
Is it propane? Then no worry about bad gas.
Just change the oil? If not maybe you should, not really pertinent to this discussion though. But a reason to warm it up.
Gas stability? This is real if it’s gasoline powered. Stabilize some fresh fuel or throw some Av gas in it for the winter and run it.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS