RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a portable electric space heater for exercising our Onan since it is primarily performed during the camping off season. Both of our gennies are actively utilized during the RVing season since we do more boondocking and dry camping than anything else. No issues on prolonged use of space heaters thus far, sometimes we have 2 of them cranking although both are rarely set to high at the same time.

Golferdude21

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its a gas Onan onboard genny. Havent ran it in a few months figured before it goes indoors and away from me for 5 months i should run it

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 6 year old Champion 2000 sits idle for 6 months through the winter with no exercise. I put in fresh gas in the spring and start it with one pull.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golferdude21 wrote:

Its a gas Onan onboard genny. Havent ran it in a few months figured before it goes indoors and away from me for 5 months i should run it

Yup, agree then. But either run it out of gas, or put some fresh gas with stabilizer in an empty tank and run that or some no. Ethanol with stabilizer.
Gummed up carbs are a real and common occurrence and it’s easier to take precautions than to clean a carb out.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golferdude21 wrote:

You should really run it monthly. The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones."

My Champion has sat for 6 months every year for the past 6 years, hasn't hurt it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. [emoticon]

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add about 15 gallons of non-ethynol fuel to my motorhome along with 1 can of seafoam. Drive and run the genny about 15 minutes and park it for the winter. I don't start either until spring. I have done this since 2010 without issue.
Brian

Golferdude21

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya Genny never sees a drop of ethanol, as well as every other small engine I own

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

No harm running the AC, but Gen sets should be exercised monthly not just once before storage.

I have a portable gen and it gets regular exercise. I try to but put half of the max load on it for at least 15 min. So I gather up enough things, hair dryers flood lamps ect. to give me that half load.
Some people never exercise them and than ***** because they dont run right after 6 mo of no use

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

"The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones."

My Champion has sat for 6 months every year for the past 6 years, hasn't hurt it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. [emoticon]

According to Onan’s website they make about 100,000 RV type generators a year.

If you figure most of the last 20 years of production is still out there in customers rigs, that’s about 2 million units.

I recently bought some slip rings for an Onan I was given out of a derelict RV, someone had tried to ‘clean them up’ with 80 grit emory cloth. The dealer, a big factory shop, said they had to order them, they only sell a handful of them a year. Considering how few people even know about ‘exercising’ a generator let alone actually do it, this is quite amazing.

BTW, the ‘exercise once per month’ edict only appeared after Onan became Cummins Onan.

Strangely enough very few other generator mfg’s recommend this ‘exercise routine either.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS