RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: MH accident in gas station!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hurricaner

Hurricane Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

Wonder if that was a 3500 lb receiver the tow truck driver was lifting on? Did that MH have frame extensions? Kinda of scary stuff.

Richard
I 100% agree with that. I would bet that tow did some major damage to the rv frame. If it wasn't totaled before it is now.

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did someone forget they weren't driving their Prius?

Also there is legally no expectation of privacy in a public space.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't walk & climb stars so I bought a Class A. Past time for licensing to drive something this large. Most states all you need is a drivers license. How many know how to do an air brake test? Hoe many actually do? It ain't like driving your Prius like 1320fastback said.

http://www.discovermymobility.com/store/scooter-lifts/burr/handy-lift-hd/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI69vB6ZyT5QIVmMVkCh2qiw84EAkYASABEgKeD_D_BwE

* This post was edited 10/10/19 09:11pm by Edd505 *

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't that a temp tag on the RV. Might be a pretty inexperienced driver. Easy mistake to make when you're new at driving one of these things.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the Georgetown has frame extensions. The receiver is rated at 5000lbs. But this is lifting it from the bottom of the receiver. A bit different. But still not the ideal way to lift it, however with the damage that was done there wasn't much of a choice. At $150k the damage would have to be around $100k (70-75% of its value). Not sure if that was $100k in damage. I'm guessing at least $70k!
And yes they were temp tags, they could've been coming from an older class A or are completely new. We will probably never know.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grldst wrote:

Isn't that a temp tag on the RV. Might be a pretty inexperienced driver. Easy mistake to make when you're new at driving one of these things.

X2. Exactly what I thought. Looks like an inexperienced mistake. He would have been fine if he hadn't chosen that outside island. I feel bad for the guy. Makes you wonder if he's gonna stick with RV'ing.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you hear the first crunch on the side panel and keep going?? Or was he going like 20 mph?

Wow.. That took some effort to accomplish!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 03:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometime stuff just happens. This might have been a momentary lapse in memory of which vehicle he was driving. Luckily it looks like no one was injured, which is the main thing.
I remember at one station where I was filling up and the RV next to me was pulling out to exit after he had filled his tank. He did not exit straight out of his position and caught his rear overhang on the island guard. It ripped his rear cap right off and left it dangling before he stopped. This was a diesel pusher and I guess the damages amounted to $20,000 plus, not to mention the horror of having to listen to his DW about everything he did wrong and how this ruined the trip, gave her "age" lines, etc. I'm sure this guy's significant other will remind him of this incident for decades to come.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

Some people with CDL's can't drive either. So there goes that thinking! It's not about the size of the vehicle, it's about paying attention.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS