RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: MH accident in gas station!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many times as I have entered and exited fueling stations, I had my first oh sh!t incident last trip. The station was tight, so we creeped out looking carefully at the rear and front wheels, but we didnnt notice we got too close to an awning hanging low off the side of the building and hit it with the front windshield. Even though the awning didn’t extend past the curb, there was just enough moho overhang on the passenger top to extend over the curb even though the tire never hit the curb.

Lesson learned was to go even slower and watch the top as well as the bottom when entering and exiting. The service station could have had a low overhang warning since it was considerably lower than the 16 foot roof/awning over the pumps, but still it was my fault for not being careful enough.

I don’t think any additional training on driving an RV would’ve prevented my incident. I’m thinking that I will only frequent Pilots and Loves from here on since there is generally better ingress and egress for gassers to access the pumps.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I wonder how many of the folks here clamoring for mandatory training and licensing actually had said training themselves? Some, Im sure, but I bet not all. Of course when they were learning, things were different.

And the bit about getting an attorney? Please... Im guessing you have one on speed dial?

Its amazing all the speculation.

Mike

Well Mike, add me to the list of those trained. Would Military training to drive a wrecker with truck and trailer in tow qualify? Over 70 ft. long.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No I to was in Military and My training was tester asked if we drove a stick raise you hands. If you did come out see if you can drive that was it you either did or didn't most did like myself. Sorry Viet Nam Vet. But now saying once people get the paper to drive they lose there mind and drive the way they want.... Yep test goes out the door means nothing look truckers have cdls most drive great then some loose there minds test mean nothing ....

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I see things like this, I prefer not to run down the driver for making such a mistake (especially when I know nothing of the specific circumstances around how it happened). I think he has enough 'consequences' to deal with now without us making it worse by running him (or her) down in a public forum.

I just feel sorry for the driver, family. Their beautiful rig, which looks pretty new, is now badly damaged. It may well never be the same again or be worth fixing. Their trip ruined. Not to mention how embarrassing and stressful this was for them.

Before we run down the driver for making this mistake (however it happened)....Think of how easily any one of us could have made a similar mistake like this, and how you'd feel about people talking about you on a public forum like some on here are. Not a one of us are perfect, even though we seem to sometimes think we are.

Just be thankful you've been fortunate enough to not make such a mistake and have your rig tore up like this!

* This post was last edited 10/16/19 01:42pm by willald *   View edit history

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS