RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Repair costs and frequency frustration

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Repair costs and frequency frustration

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think you need a second opinion on the bearing and the cost.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bearing replacement should not cost that much you need to go to a truck repair shop and get a quote. That that much work to replace.

al

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 you need another shop. I,m lucky here in north east ohio I have two shops that do good honest work at a fair price.

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you've been going to the stealership for repairs, then of course you have high repair costs.
High repair cost is what they do best.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local mechanic can work on the Ford engine along with my cars. He's can't pull the MH in and doesn't work on truck parts, but I have a choice of truck shops in the area that are good. Maybe pricey, but that's the cost of this hobby, and still less than staying in hotels. That's what we'll do when the time comes, rather than get a different unit. You don't have to get stuck in this lifestyle- and if you don't consider yourself stuck, then you just consider the expenses as part of the cost of choosing this lifestyle.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked into or know of any mobile RV repairmen. Also, there are mobile mechanics that will outperform and underprice most brick and mortar businesses.
A rear end bearing at 67k miles is suspect to me. I have wrenched my career on heavy equipment of all kinds and I would question that one.
WHY do they recommend a rear end bearing, what are the symptoms? My guess is after replacing the rear end bearings and emptying your purse they will end up changing the drive shaft support bearings IF there is a noise or HUMMM that they are hearing.
get a second opinion.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Might be time to rethink this rv life style. IMO, this used MH rv style is not working for you.
I have been down the used MH road and found it not all that reliable a road to travel, especially if you do not know the previous owner and the units history.
If you can live with a rv style change, you can hold on to your cash that you have using to repair things. When I had limited cash to spend on toys, I had the best mechanical luck buying a smaller trailer under 6,000# wet and leasing a new truck. The truck never broke down and the trailer has a lot less mechanical stuff to deal with than a MH.
There are so many 'cash back' deals that will save you thousands on 1500 series trucks where you do not need any special aftermarket equipment for it to tow a smaller TT. A stock truck with a tow package will be fine. You'll be driving a new rig for about the same money as you're spending repairing an unreliable MH where you're chancing being stuck in far away places.
You could lease a truck and put the down payment into the lease and use your cash for the TT.
I can't see buying a used B with uncertain repairs in the future. You'll be in the same position you're in now. I see that being a revolving door with too much expense and down time.
This is the same conclusion that I am coming to also. I have owned my current class A in my signature for 16 years, I have put $21,000 for mods repairs and maintenance. Every trip something needs fixing. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed the trips up to Alaska, Canada out west over 100k miles of travel but the biggest problem if something major fails on a trip truck shops don't want to work on class A's and other shops don't have lifts big enough to accommodate large Class A's. I have had 3 break downs over the years and difficulty finding shops , the last one in Mt which took 4 months to get the MH back home. I too have looked at smaller Class A's, B's, C's in the 24 ft Range with full wall slides, TC's, small 5th wheels(not many on the market) and small TT's which there are many to choose from. Everything has its trade off's, B's are way to small no storage or FW capacity. TC's require a HD truck and if you want at least 50 gals of FW and a slide out you need a DRW truck($60k plus). 5th wheels sacrifice storage in the truck bed for a more stable tow. So to me the best option is a small TT that has 50 to 80 gals of FW, a pass tru storage up front, plus the whole bed of the truck which as bobndot stated can be towed with a 1/2 ton truck, can be used as a second vehicle and any shop across the country can work on if something happens.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO the RV lifestyle is not inexpensive in anything bigger than a pop-up. But we love it, and we pay it. If OP's RV structure is in good shape, then fixing the rest is inexpensive compared to another purchase. If RV structure needs work, the OP is not far from Elkhart where lots of folks do this work. Everything that has been fixed should last the life of the RV and not draw money again.

X2 on finding an independent truck repair shop for a second opinion. DO NOT hire anyone to replace a differential bearing without have all 3 bearings replaced--that job is almost all labor.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I have owned my current class A in my signature for 16 years, I have put $21,000 for mods repairs and maintenance.

But if you bought a new coach, you'd lost more than that the day you drove off the lot! And probably that much again in interest that first year, if you had to finance a new one.

And... while the chassis have improved, I think coach construction quality and mechanical durability has down in the last 15 years.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

We like our 15 year old 30 ft. Class C we've had for 7 years. Reliability has always been up and down. We had a pretty good couple of years of repair costs we could live with but now we're discouraged and don't know what to do. Many costs this past year; some routine and expected, some not. Must have totaled 7 to $8000 and today, after $300 dollars of work, I'm told that I need a differential bearing which this shop can't do which will cost thousands; not hundreds. Only has 67000 miles. We're reluctantly considering downsizing to an older used Class B, like a Roadtrek but seems like we would have to repair our present one to sell it. I'm not asking for an answer; just venting. Oh, spending over $30000 for a replacement is out of the question. Thanks for "listening"

I'm guessing that your Class C is probably (not a Super C) based on a Ford E350 or E450 chassis - in which parts and mechanics are available everywhere.

If it is ... wouldn't it be least expensive to merely have a used (from a junkyard, reclamation yard, etc.) whole rear axle and differential - as a complete assembly - installed to replace the original one?

Probably way less labor than messing with disassembling an installed differential merely to replace it's bearings.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Repair costs and frequency frustration
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS