RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Carlsbad Caverns NM

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking of stopping at Carlsbad Caverns after our usual Quartzite/Yuma AZ trip in Jan. Any suggestions on favorite Campgrounds near the entrance ? So far I'm leaning towards Carlsbad RV, reviews seem to be decent. Anyone have a personal input and/or suggestions on whether to take the tour at the Caverns or go on your own ? Thanks, Kathie

40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main campground is Whites and it looks rather shabby from the outside and I see it has poor reviews. We were never tempted to stay there. The town of Carlsbad is about half an hour away and has a few CG. We stayed at Bud's and it was OK for a short stay. Not much choice and none great.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

OldF**t

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KOA north of town is probably the best campground but it is 30 to 45 minutes to the caverns depending on traffic thru town.

Jim
2019 Lance 975
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC
2017 Harley Tri Glide
1 wife and 1 cat

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OldF**t wrote:

The KOA north of town is probably the best campground but it is 30 to 45 minutes to the caverns depending on traffic thru town.

Coming from that KOA there is a by-pass about 10 miles South of the park that takes you on the West edge of town missing all of that down town area

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the KOA and it is a long way from anything. It is 20 miles just to Carlsbad. Buds is your best bet if your going to stay a few days but I think I would stay at the one at the exit to the caverans if I was going to just stay one night it didnt look all that bad when we drove past it.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also stayed at the KOA as it seemed the best in the area, though not the most convenient.

But a word of caution. The oil field boom is apparently making it difficult to find any opening at any RV park in that area. I would begin checking availability far in advance of planning to arrive there.

We did the tour on our own starting at the natural entrance. Plan on the elevator back to the top unless you are in good physical condition as the trip down from the natural entrance is long and steep. There are guided tours that take you to areas not available on your own, but we did not try any of those.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

... But a word of caution. The oil field boom is apparently making it difficult to find any opening at any RV park in that area. I would begin checking availability far in advance of planning to arrive there.

X2^!! Except for the fact that we are Escapees and can stay at The Ranch north of Carlsbad, there have been several times there was absolutely no other availability.

Also check ahead of time if there's anyone in your party that can't handle the walk down into the caverns from the natural opening. The elevators are older than I am (and I've had Medicare for a while) and have been out of service on two separate occasions when we tried to visit. (If one of the two elevators is out, they take the other one out of service, too). This can happen on short notice, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for the KOA. I was there several nights a few years ago to see the caverns.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stayed at the KOA earlier this year and would recommend it. Is super nice, the showers are huge clean and hot, they have a BBQ smoker going all day and will deliver food to you via a golf cart and put it on your RV bill, two descent sized gated dog areas with toys, basically away from everything too so super quiet.

It is a ways from the Caverns but from what we saw of the other RV Parks after passing by them we made the right decision!

As mentioned above the Oil Industry is all over this area and when we left via the 285 it was a complete disaster. I can not believe that road did not damage my trailer. I've never driven on a road worse than that anywhere in the US. Also is single lane with 50,000 oil workers trying to get where they are going.

* This post was edited 10/12/19 12:10pm by 1320Fastback *

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

OldF**t

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

OldF**t wrote:

Coming from that KOA there is a by-pass about 10 miles South of the park that takes you on the West edge of town missing all of that down town area

Yes. I forgot about that bypass. About a mile shorter and way less traffic and lights.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS