|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
whta

Seminole, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Morning!

We are about to take delivery of our first Camper in over 30 years! When the kids were younger, we camped in a pop-up here in Florida.

Anyway, we are about to take delivery of a 2018 Grand Design 3170BH, and the trailer length is 37 ft (wth am I thinking!!)

Anyway, looking at the various state parks and RV parks in Florida, they all mention maximum trailer length.

So my newbie question is, when I'm looking at a park that says maximum trailer length is is 40 feet - is that inclusive of my tow vehicle???

Thanks in advance - looking forward to getting out and camping again.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, just the length of your RV (trailer, motor coach, 5er, pop-up). On Reserve America sites for State Parks, you use the RV length so the web site will filter out sites that are too short. It will only return available sites that will accomidate whatever size you put in that field (here again, this is Reserve America which almost every State DNR web site is now utilizing).

Once you pull up the site you are interested in, it will give you the actual pad size and also the actual campsite total size. You may enter 40 foot RV. Sites for a specific State Park may return only 5 available spots for the dates you are considering.

Now go to Google Maps and look at the ariel imaging of the campground and find the site you are considering. It will give you a good idea for location of trees and such.

Now go back to Reserve America and pull up the details on the site. You will see an image of the site from the ground, and details may say, Pad size 10 x45, site size 60x30, water 20 yards, restrooms/showers 100 yards, etc.

Now, if the web site is a private campground, it's hard to say what that field may mean.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutchman that was a very good explanation! One little thing to add. When you put in length odd numbers can confuse some of the websites. Use multiples of 5 when entering trailer length. If you look for sites for a 37 foot trailer it may say there are none. If you immediately change it to 40 feet there may be some available. It all depends on how the site is set up.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

whta

Seminole, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU

Just to be clear (and I would follow-up with call a head) - I'm looking at a 40 foot availability - not 55'ish to include the truck...

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whta wrote:

THANK YOU

Just to be clear (and I would follow-up with call a head) - I'm looking at a 40 foot availability - not 55'ish to include the truck...

Correct. That's why you need to check the details about the site once it returns availability. I've never been to a state park anywhere in the USA that had issues parking the truck parallel to the road, perpendicular to the camper if the site pad was too short for the truck to park directly in front of the traileer.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, if you call "Reserve America" by phone, you will reach a representative. But you may be attempting to find information on a campsite in Kentucky and the representative may be physically located in California. None of those representatives have a clue what the actual sites look like. They'll just pull up the same information you see on the web site from their computers.

If you do call, ask them right off the top where they are physically sitting at the moment talking you to. You'll be surprised!

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it says max TRAILER length, that's what it means!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the time, max RV lengths have some leeway built in to compensate for typically narrow campground roads and obstacles like trees, big rocks, etc. If you are at all competent backing your rig, you can generally fudge it by a few feet without problem. My TT is 26' ball to bumper, and I never have a problem fitting on a designated 20' site.

I would call your 37' TT a 35' and not worry about it.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Probably.
But don't ASSume; call and ASK.

And you have my curiosity up.
Is this a 5th wheel ?
Are you SURE that you tow vehicle can handle something that big ??

Then, have you ever driven (backed) something that long ??

I wish you luck and enjoyment.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

my experience with reserve america is that the max trailer length is pretty much meaningless. Last campground we were at I had a spot I wanted the next time we visited. So, I booked it. my trailer is 35ft, I'm 65ft overall. the reserve america site said the pad was 40ft, and the max trailer length was 26ft. with a warning. trailers over 20ft may have trouble backing in. I knew that was NOT going to be the case, I had seen the site. We arrived and not only did we get in first try, but even with the trailer still hooked up, the truck nose was still out of the roadway.

This was not the first time we found reserve america info to be misleading. I've seen the other way where they listed very long pads and long trailer length but with trees on both sides of road and close on the pad with a sharp right angle to back in, trailers shorter than the "max" length would likely never been able to get in.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS