|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience those lengths do not take into account the overhang, that part of your towable that's behind the wheels. So, when I back my 5er's wheels up to the concrete stops, there's still 12' of RV behind them, which I can use provided that space isn't packed with bushes or trees.

It really helps when pictures of each site are provided to determine that.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whta wrote:

THANK YOU

Just to be clear (and I would follow-up with call a head) - I'm looking at a 40 foot availability - not 55'ish to include the truck...

You can follow-up with a phone call, but unless you talk to someone that actually knows, you may get all sorts of incorrect answers.

We host at a state park, so I know each and every site in the park, their dimensions, 20, 30 and 50 AMP, etc. I called to get a reservation during one of our non-hosting months and was told that my RV, which is 43 feet long would not fit in the newer campground, but would fit in the older pull-thru campground. There is not a single site that our RV would fit in in the older site. I have no idea what they were looking at, but it was definitely wrong. I called and spoke with the park manager and he said that he would address it, but......

Just saying, google earth will probably help you more than a phone call.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Dutchman that was a very good explanation! One little thing to add. When you put in length odd numbers can confuse some of the websites. Use multiples of 5 when entering trailer length. If you look for sites for a 37 foot trailer it may say there are none. If you immediately change it to 40 feet there may be some available. It all depends on how the site is set up.

Hmmm... every other multiple of five is an odd number (i.e. 25, 35, 45, etc.). In addition, I always use the 36' length of our fifth wheel and have never had a problem with either Reserve America or any of the state park web sites.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another good resource is to look at Campsite Photos website and see if where you want to go is listed,there you can look at all the campsites and make a informed choice of campsite.

I have found that it was very helpful going to a campground that I have never been to.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“If you are at all competent backing your rig, you can generally fudge it by a few feet without problem”

But I’ll be the RVer waiting and waiting while you try to horse an oversized rig into a site. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES! Do doctors recommend other doctors “fudge?”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Another good resource is to look at Campsite Photos website and see if where you want to go is listed,there you can look at all the campsites and make a informed choice of campsite.

I have found that it was very helpful going to a campground that I have never been to.

I have found looking at photos when available very useful as well. We arrived at a campsite one time where there was a large branch just low enough that out 5th wheel couldn't get in but a travel trailer would have just made it under the branch.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

We arrived at a campsite one time where there was a large branch just low enough that out 5th wheel couldn't get in but a travel trailer would have just made it under the branch.
I don't know who is responsible for tree trimming in most parks but sometimes I have to wonder, what were they thinking?

The main exit from Mesa Verde CG has this gigantic tree branch hanging right over the center of the roadway.. I'm guessing it's about 13-14' high, just enough to make me nervous.

One of my favorite Utah CGs has a couple trees almost growing together right over the roadway, maybe the same height.

I don't get why they do that.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

whta wrote:

THANK YOU

Just to be clear (and I would follow-up with call a head) - I'm looking at a 40 foot availability - not 55'ish to include the truck...

Correct. That's why you need to check the details about the site once it returns availability. I've never been to a state park anywhere in the USA that had issues parking the truck parallel to the road, perpendicular to the camper if the site pad was too short for the truck to park directly in front of the traileer.

If you are in the national, state, country or city or public parks, you'll have enough frontage to park you truck -- or a spill over area for parking.

But they are strict on prohibiting parking in the non-paved area of your campsite.

And 40 maybe the size of the campsite, but maneuvering into it is another matter altogether.

They won't move a tree nor a huge rock for you, lol.

But then public parks may not be a good choice for you -- they don't have many sites for big rigs.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I have found looking at photos when available very useful as well. We arrived at a campsite one time where there was a large branch just low enough that out 5th wheel couldn't get in but a travel trailer would have just made it under the branch.

Yep, been using Campsite Photo for years. They don't have pics for every state park but they do cover a lot of popular places.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dennis M M

Winter in Tucson, AZ; summer on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutchman and others had lots of good advice and it will usually be sufficient, but the campgrounds can still throw you an unexpected curve.

Last summer I ran into one in an Oregon State Park where I would fit in the site. It was at a right angle to roadway. I knew this and knew I could get in, BUT when we arrived we found there were three trash cans protected by concrete posts in the road directly opposite the site! No way to get in there with my rig!

That was the only one out of 12 Oregon State Parks that I could not get into. A couple of places took some jockeying and in a couple I had to park the truck away from our site.

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS