|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Dutchman that was a very good explanation! One little thing to add. When you put in length odd numbers can confuse some of the websites. Use multiples of 5 when entering trailer length. If you look for sites for a 37 foot trailer it may say there are none. If you immediately change it to 40 feet there may be some available. It all depends on how the site is set up.

Yes just because the site is long enough doent mean you will fit, because of trees and or tree limbs. A tow trailer might fit were as a 5er might not because of the different heights. A 5er generally is taller than a tow trailer.

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“If you are at all competent backing your rig, you can generally fudge it by a few feet without problem”

But I’ll be the RVer waiting and waiting while you try to horse an oversized rig into a site. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES! Do doctors recommend other doctors “fudge?”

LOL... no you won't. An extra five feet is always easily doable... unless you're one of those noobs who spend ten minutes hollering back and forth with his DW, who stands in his blind spot waving her arms and yelling... and still runs over the firepit.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

“If you are at all competent backing your rig, you can generally fudge it by a few feet without problem”

But I’ll be the RVer waiting and waiting while you try to horse an oversized rig into a site. JUST FOLLOW THE RULES! Do doctors recommend other doctors “fudge?”

LOL... no you won't. An extra five feet is always easily doable... unless you're one of those noobs who spend ten minutes hollering back and forth with his DW, who stands in his blind spot waving her arms and yelling... and still runs over the firepit.

That depends on the campground (and possibly the site). In many campgrounds, five feet extra is no big deal at all. Occasionally, though, that's not the case at all, and five feet over the stated site length means you'll stick out four and a half feet, and likely have to use a different site or a different campground.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

37' is getting close to the "Big Brute" class & with it goes the unavailability of CG sites. The private CGs will usually cram you in one way or another but the SPs & more so the NPs can be a challenge sometimes.

Ours is just under 36' LOA but the model number is 34. That is what I use. I have not found a so-called 30' site yet that I have not been able to get the thing into. Most SP operators are very easy to deal with. The attitude is, if you can get it in & are happy, we are happy. Every once in awhile you will run into Sgt Bythebook. If the site is 35 & you are 36, nope, you can't have it. Grrrrr!

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

drsteve wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

That depends on the campground (and possibly the site). In many campgrounds, five feet extra is no big deal at all. Occasionally, though, that's not the case at all, and five feet over the stated site length means you'll stick out four and a half feet, and likely have to use a different site or a different campground.

I'm sure there must be such places, but I have yet to find them.
Virtually every CG leaves a margin for error to accommodate those with less experience, or long bed crew cab duallies, or cargo racks sticking off their rear bumper, or who go by the model number rather than the ball to bumper length. The difference between model and actual can sometimes be 5 feet.

The reason they do this is simple: they don't want frustrated customers showing up at the office complaining that they can't get parked on their sites, because then they have to move them somewhere else, and on crowded weekends this is a major PITA.

* This post was edited 10/13/19 06:07am by drsteve *

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

State park systems are hit or miss on lengths. Some will say all sites are 30 feet, other states actually go measure the sites. What a concept! If in doubt about accuracy I call them. The rangers know which ones are 60 feet when the web says that they are 30 feet,

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

State park systems are hit or miss on lengths. Some will say all sites are 30 feet, other states actually go measure the sites. What a concept! If in doubt about accuracy I call them. The rangers know which ones are 60 feet when the web says that they are 30 feet,

Rangers are usually helpful and will give you an appropriate site that considers your voiced out challenge specially if the campground is not full.

When I was new RVing, a ranger saw that I got a new rig. Right there in there at the entrance seeing me as a newbie, he cancelled my previous reservations and told me that he is giving me a straight up backing site with room to maneuver. He even apologized that he doesn't have a pull through.

teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

If it says max TRAILER length, that's what it means!

That would be my thought. The language seems clear... except if you are dealing with a government entity. They speak their own language!

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's a park we haven't been at or a area of the park we haven't been in, I look on Google Earth. There is a ruler icon on the top of the page and you can measure the site. I've found it to be very accurate

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a number of things working against you. First of all at 37' you have lost an awful lot of options at many state parks. Remember, most of these parks were created when a 30' trailer was really big & slideouts was not even a word. Next you have those who book a site way longer than they actually need. I can't count the number of times I have seen a class C or a B in a pick your own site park occupying one of the few long sites or pull throughs. It would be nice if maximum lengths were set for the long sites. Worst case of site abuse seen was in Alaska where a VW bus was occupying a site I later paced out at 75' deep.

Size does matter. The bigger you are the more skill you need to get into those sites that are marginal for your size & the more important it is to have a good director to get you in.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground Maximum Length
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS