|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cellphone boosters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a great site. It is a waterfront site. The problem is, no cell service. It is weird, but some areas have some service but we have none. Anyone know of cell phone boosters that will work where no service exists?

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no signal
OR
too weak to work

boosters .. boost a weak signal

a booster with a directional "YAGI" antenna Might help
you get a signal and boost it

but NO guarantees the only way is to try it

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amplifying on what the other person said.. If you can go up on the roof. No signal = No Signal and some places that's all you get.

Very weak signal the booster may work..

Also remember that HEIGHT IS MIGHT Which is why Is said to go up on the roof to check (You need not get off the ladder) a 20 foot pole (or taller flagpole) is a great place for the "outside" antenna on a booster.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Mr Wizard said, a cell booster has to have at least a minimal signal to boost. That signal may be below the threshold that your cell phone detects, but it does have to be there. Various boosters have different levels of minimum threshold themselves, so finding one that works where you need it can be a difficult task in a deep fringe area.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We host in a site that has extremely poor cell signal ore WeBoost will gives us three bars of LTE in the 5er and a couple near the outside.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

first, which carrier? between verizon and ATT (and the others that use either verizon or ATT signalling) we often find one or the other will give a good signal, but not both when we are in remote locations. easiest solution is if one gives a good signal use that carrier. That's why our cell phones are Verizon and our car is on ATT.

Second, boosters require a minimum signal level to be able to get you a useable signal. Signal level needs to be around -140/150db or better for a booster to work. -140db with a booster will get you a signal around -110db which is adequate for voice and text. -140db will generally not give you a useable signal w/o a booster.

And you may find a booster will give you good voice but not data. In one spot we visit signal level is around -130db, booster gets it to -90db or so, but signal is only voice (1x) no data other than messaging.

And "bars" is generally not a good indicator of actual signal strength. use a app that gives you actual signal strength for voice and data channels.

We have a weboost system that I can use with either an omnidirectional antenna or a directional yagi. Does it work everywhere? NOPE. Does it give me a useable voice/text signal in very marginal conditions or when there is no service w/o a booster? YES in many cases, but not all.

Finally I've found that if I need a booster for data, even with a booster data rate is generally much slower than areas that don't need a booster.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

first, which carrier? between verizon and ATT (and the others that use either verizon or ATT signalling) we often find one or the other will give a good signal, but not both when we are in remote locations. easiest solution is if one gives a good signal use that carrier. That's why our cell phones are Verizon and our car is on ATT.

Second, boosters require a minimum signal level to be able to get you a useable signal. Signal level needs to be around -140/150db or better for a booster to work. -140db with a booster will get you a signal around -110db which is adequate for voice and text. -140db will generally not give you a useable signal w/o a booster.

And you may find a booster will give you good voice but not data. In one spot we visit signal level is around -130db, booster gets it to -90db or so, but signal is only voice (1x) no data other than messaging.

And "bars" is generally not a good indicator of actual signal strength. use a app that gives you actual signal strength for voice and data channels.

We have a weboost system that I can use with either an omnidirectional antenna or a directional yagi. Does it work everywhere? NOPE. Does it give me a useable voice/text signal in very marginal conditions or when there is no service w/o a booster? YES in many cases, but not all.

Finally I've found that if I need a booster for data, even with a booster data rate is generally much slower than areas that don't need a booster.

I am with Bell, up here in Canada.

I have an iPhone; which app would you recommend?

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This app will help you find a signal. It simply points to the cell tower. If you don't see an arrow you won't get coverage and a booster won't help.

Open Signal

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

This app will help you find a signal. It simply points to the cell tower. If you don't see an arrow you won't get coverage and a booster won't help.

Open Signal

Thank you. Next time I am out where I have no service, I will give it a try to see what it is out there.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

Open Signal

good app, but I disagree with the no arrow booster won't help. Many a time I've been in places with no service, so the app won't point to a tower and once I hook up the weboost I get a useable signal and the app points to nearby tower(s) and the booster gives me at least voice service.

For cell service to work, the PHONE must have enough power to ping a nearby tower, and the tower must be able to then give enough signal for the phone to recieve. The PHONE output power is the weak link in the system in almost all cases. That's where the booster comes into play.

And in car phones such as onstar ATT have more output power than a handheld, IIRC the same power as a booster will give you. so at times while folks with ATT have no service my onstar phone gives nice service and internet access.

Get far enough away from a tower and yes, booster won't solve the problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cellphone boosters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS