RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: toilet treatment for black water tank

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

We just can't afford sewer gas or poop smell in our garage from a poop tank that we are unable to thoroughly clean. My wife and I are both concerned about it.

If one of us had an emergency, we'd surely poop in the toilet. But we've managed to avoid doing so up to this point.
Yeah, you don't want smells in your garage, but I'd be curious to see if that would even be a problem with normal use & cleaning...

Sewer gas is heavier than air, so I'd think you'd need quite a lot of build-up to have enough volume to exit the vent stack absent a vacuum effect (e.g. driving or wind). Worst case, you could always rig up a vent to the outdoors with some dryer vent hose... [emoticon]
We noticed a foul odor in our garage back in the early years 2007-2009 during the RVing season May thru September when we did not power-flush the black tank between trips. That was from urine alone in the black tank. So we power flush between trips during the season and continue to practice no-poop, and bleach the waste system at the end of the season. My wife is totally on-board with the practice as she actually suggested it from the beginning. I am sure as we continue to age, the need to yield to number two will become essential. But until then, this works well.

Please don't misunderstand me. I surely don't suggest others follow our practice. I shared our process (especially our end-of-season bleach-cleaning portion) to contribute to the original question.

* This post was edited 12/03/19 08:45am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep ours in a, not very tight, pole barn, and never had a problem with odor.

Dusty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS