|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 2 Battery banks built from 6 volts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Canuck_in_NJ

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Let's back up for a minute ! Why do you want to double your battery storage. Running a TV and some USB chargers seems like a pretty light load.

To me it sounds like you need more solar panels and maybe a better charge controller, not more batteries.

A NOCO HM426 dual battery box takes up less space.

Well we have moved back to British Columbia Canada, and are going to be camping through the winter. (big into snowmobiling and quading.

Wife likes it warm and we all know the story with how the furnace kills batteries. Don't think the sun will be out much so that cuts down on our ability to recharge via solar.

We did just buy a Mr buddy heater so that will cut down on furnace use.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco 17BH

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like there would be space to construct a two storey battery box on the trailer tongue. That's what I would do (and have them always all connected).

With a switching arrangement, you'd in essence be just swapping batteries in and out, so whichever one is active would be active for the loads, the converter, and the solar charging, and the other would be sitting entirely disconnected, assuming you wired all the loads and such through the selector switch. If you had the inverter or whatever bypassing it, it would of course only use the battery it's connected to regardless of the switch setting. (An exception would be the 1+2 setting, which connects everything to everything else.)

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two 6-volt batteries going to four, and with concerns about weight make me suggest you might be much better served by going lithium iron phosphate. They are much smaller and lighter for their capacity, and while more expensive up front, their far longer life makes them actually cheaper that lead/acid in the long run. Just a suggestion.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Two 6-volt batteries going to four, and with concerns about weight make me suggest you might be much better served by going lithium iron phosphate. They are much smaller and lighter for their capacity, and while more expensive up front, their far longer life makes them actually cheaper that lead/acid in the long run. Just a suggestion.

LiOn batteries do not take a charge below freezing. The Original Poster does Winter camping in Canada......

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did this for a few years using three 12VDC Interstate GP24 Batteries in parallel across my trailer tongue...

[image]
Roy's image

I am now working on a BATTERY BANK of two groups of two 6VDC batteries in series using a TORKLIFT box... This extends out on both sides of my install rails... Fits perfect inside the two welded on rails on top of the trailer tongue... The torklift battery box lid slides on and this is great if your trailer has any overhang on the the tongue area.

[image]
Google image

My new setup will have two 10WATT Solar panels on the Torklift slide off lid to trickle charge each 6VDC dual Battery group...

My Dual Bank diagram will look something like this except I will be using DURACELL Batteries instead of what is shown in the drawing... All is working fine so far on the work bench will have it installed on my trailer tongue soon...

[image]
Roy's image

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was edited 10/15/19 10:26am by RoyB *

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canuck_in_NJ wrote:

[image]

not a tone of room on this small tongue, but angle iron might be the trick. Didn't want to put a ton more weight on the tongue, but may be easier than the truck box.

Bolt that angle iron to the tongue and mount those 6 volt batteries for and aft, for less width. After you get the iron cut and mounted you may want to stop by the local weld shop for the end pieces.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Canuck_in_NJ

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright, lots of options. I guess one concern would be the tongue weight. Dealers website says dry hitch weight is 280 lbs. does not include water propane cargo, Dealer accessories)

so if max loaded weight is 3500, 10% can be estimated for tongue weight puts me at 350. adding the battery puts me at what? 550lbs?

My tow vehicle isn't a problem as I have a 1 ton. will the trailers tongue support that? should be fine correct?

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

LiOn batteries do not take a charge below freezing. The Original Poster does Winter camping in Canada......

That’s true, they don’t. It’s also true that they need not be located on the outside of the trailer OR that they cannot have a small, low power, heating pad attached to keep them above freezing, even in Canada in the winter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see any issues on tongue weight.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get a Torklift battery box as already mentioned. It will fit all four of your batteries on the tongue which should be strong enough for the weight.

Here are some pictures of my sons former trailer with one on the tongue. He didn't have 4 batteries but used the space for other things, as you can see.
Those dividers are adjustable to any size space you need or can be removed.
Barney

[image]

[image]

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 2 Battery banks built from 6 volts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS