|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Heading to Florida

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be OK now; haven't tried. But during real winter must have reservations for southern and coastal Fl. for state parks. Actually you probably can't get any even this far ahead.

Jayco-noslide

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beings you are a beginning snowbird, I'm going to recommend you do what I did. When I decided to do the snowbird thing I spent a season checking out each snowbird area. I did one season in Florida, one season in south Texas and a season in the Southwest.

I never stayed over a month in any particular RV resort or campground, usually only a week or two and moved on the the next area. Had a great time doing this and it gives you the opportunity to see what suits your needs.

I never did any reservations, and still don't. If you are not particular and are not looking to stay in a definate place for a definate amount of time, reservations are not necessary. There is always some place to stay.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is your first trip I would not make any reservations. As another poster mentioned the central part of Florida is nice especially the springs like Alexander, Juniper or Salt springs they are NFS CG's and are half price with the senior pass. Further south is Everglades NP and Big Cypress, I have not been there for 5 years or so but never had a problem without reservations if you get there mid week. I would also go to south Texas San Padre island there is a NFS CG with water and a dump station just off the beach. There is also free camping right on the beach. Further west is Quartzite AZ. which is all free camping and is interesting. You can decide after your first trip which area you you may want to return to for a longer stay then make reservations the following year.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DON'T GO TO FLORIDA! THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER WINTER DESTINATIONS. WELL, NOT SURE HOW OLD YOU ARE SO MAYBE FL IS OK. FL IS WELL KNOWN AS GOD'S WAITING ROOM. IT'S ALSO WELL KNOWN FOR THE HEAT, THE BUGS AND THE TERRIBLE DRIVERS.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spend about 4 months in Florida each winter and have rarely had any significant bug problems. Even the heat has rarely been an issue with 70's and 80's the typical norms while we're there. As far as terrible drivers go, we haven't seen many issues there either, but we prefer state and national campgrounds that tend to be in less populated areas rather then near the larger cities, so maybe we just aren't exposed to them very much. We also avoid peak travel hours, and that likely helps as well.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Branson N Tucson

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never went to Florida for winter, but heard you need to go further south for warmer weather. We been coming to Yuma Az. for the winter the past 12 years. We now come from Nashville TN. You will not have any trouble finding a place here in Yuma. The weather is warm and Sunny. In the Foot Hills area there are many private lots at good monthly prices for full hook ups. Also plenty of spots in the Resort RV Parks at a higher price.
Only because that little word Resort.
Try Yuma.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when we started going to Fl the problem of a quality site required much advance notice. That said we have always had a TT and as time went on we now have a very long trail and our set up is longer than a class A. That said many and I mean many of the RV site in Fl are old and short with no 50 amp service.
I can recommend the park we stay at that is near the villages and 45 minutes fro Orlando. They have a bunch of new sites this year and you may find a spot at this late date, Olde Mill Stream great place, super clean, great people and free ice, free beer at their dances (free) and entrainment ($10.). Class A's welcome and the rates are far less then south of the big lake.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess most don't know where Panama City is or didn't read the OP's post. Hurricane damage and displaced residents living in trailers is going to make finding a site more difficult than normal in that area. You stand a better chance further East below Tallahassee where there was less damage. I would call HoHum CG 850-697-3926.
Hohumrvpark.com

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PC may be difficult due to displaced people and construction workers. Since you plan to head west go on to Pensacola, Gulf Shores/Foley and west of Mobile.

-jbh-

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnhicks wrote:

PC may be difficult due to displaced people and construction workers. Since you plan to head west go on to Pensacola, Gulf Shores/Foley and west of Mobile.

Gulf shores is okay but lacks the ambiance of those in Fl IMHO.
We stay there for a couple on nights each year on our trek to Fl.
If you go to below the panhandle you'll find warmer temps and more to do. I think the rates are better also.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Travels & Favorite Places

> Heading to Florida
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS