RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Recommendations for quiet portable generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Yamaha 2400 is 14 years old and runs just fine, starts just fine. Idle got a little ratty, but nothing worth the trouble fixing. I forgot and let it sit all of one winter with the fuel in the carb. My stupid, but not that bad to take apart and flush jets. Then was right back in business. [emoticon]

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

. . . We’re talking generators folks . . .
Yes, we are. Behind price, I'd venture to say sound level comes in a close second or third in terms of importance for the average RV generator buyer.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Interesting.

In some literature our Honda EU2200i is rated at 62db/53db (rated and 1/4 load), not the 57db/48db quoted at the Honda website. I will say this. I've run our EU2200i next to a 57db/50db 131 lb. EU3000iS at the same load more times than I can count. Hands down, the EU2200i drowns out the EU3000iS at all power levels.

As for the Honda EU3000i "Handi", Honda used to advertise it as 63db/57db a few years ago. Interesting how they now rate it at 58db/52db. For those who have heard the 78 lb. Honda "Handi" EU3000i run next to a 57db/50db 131 lb. Honda EU3000iS under the same load, there is simply no comparison. The Honda "Handi" completely drowns out the much quieter 131 lb. Honda EU3000iS.

Something very fishy about Honda's latest db ratings.

I agree..My Honda 2K is just plain noisy compared to my Honda 3K..No comparison at all,not even close..Whenever I take the UTV trailer,the Honda 3K rides along and the Honda 2K stays at home..

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't own a Honda, but I've heard plenty. I remember thinking any 2000s I've heard being noisy. Maybe something's wrong with yours if it is noisy.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I don't own a Honda, but I've heard plenty. I remember thinking any 2000s I've heard being noisy. Maybe something's wrong with yours if it is noisy.

Noisy compared to the larger EU3000..The 2K is a quiet generator but when carrying a big load, it goes into the B&S stage,like a coffee pot/microwave etc while the EU3000 doesn't..With the EU3000 I can hardly tell the difference between a 500 watt load and a 1600 watt load,just a higher RPM without the briggs and stratton type sound the 2K gives...

In Eco mode or with a small load,the Honda 2K is pretty quiet,but put a big load on it,it isn't that quiet anymore.My Generac 4000XP never changes in sound,it's noisy all the time but for less than $300,it's been bullet proof.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP?

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whatever type you purchase please follow the quiet hour rules. We boondock primarily and it is getting old to listen to genny's being run 24/7.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

whatever type you purchase please follow the quiet hour rules. We boondock primarily and it is getting old to listen to genny's being run 24/7.
especially annoying when you know the generator is running into the otherwise quiet evening just to watch a movie. Just as easy to have a small inverter.

If recharging batteries verify your converter is charging at 14.2+ volts to minimize run time.

Ryobi makes a small and reasonably quiet propane generator (700 watts) if that is enough and you prefer to avoid storage and carburetor issues along with general gasoline issues.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd buy a Harbor Freight 3500 with an extended warranty. I'd buy a champion 3400 with remote electric start.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....... As a campground host I have seen people run their LOUD Chinese generators and then leave for many hours so that they didn’t have to listen to the noise; only campers had to listen to the noise.... As a side note China just leased Tulagi Island for 75 years ( USA had to fight Japan for this island during WW2 ) thereby increasing its hold on Asia ( Same approach as Japan in the 30’s but different method ( instead of fighting for domination they are BUYING it ))...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS