RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Recommendations for quiet portable generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the other Honda would do is return to idle and not make electricity.
You can’t even run it out of oil, it shuts down before that happens too.
Thousands of other people run a pair of Hondas, they work great.

As for what model is best, pick your preference. The EU3000 is a little bit quieter, but it’s big and heavy and there’s nowhere to carry it in a truck camper. You have to either use a front truck hitch rack or build some sort of mount on the back.
If it weren’t for that, I’d have one myself.

The pair of EU2000s fit easily and you only ever have to lift one 50-pound set at a time.
That’s a huge selling point. And they actually make more power.
They DON’T grenade themselves if one quits running for whatever reason while powering an AC. That’s just not how it is.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like burningman carries his generators in truck cabin?
Forum replies often get emotional, where "mine sandbox is better than yours" plays big role, so use lot of salt reading the replies.
Than again, doesn't take much to make your own observation when you are on campground.
Funny nobody yet mention the $150 inverter generators from HD?
I bought it as backup for times when I need 120V but not AC and even I did not use it in camper yet, it become very good for times when we had power outage at home.
The 1000W will power toaster, or microwave oven, or all TV and modems at home when you need it.
20lb and runs 1/2 day on 2 cups of fuel... well... maybe 3 cups.

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of choices in generators besides Honda and Yamaha and the competitors each has a cadre of fans. As long as you are happy with your choice and I can't hear it when we are camped, it seems to me all the bases are covered. [emoticon]

Steve

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I first went with a honda 2000 when I got my Wolf Creek, than I bought an AF with the 9600 AC and kept using the 2000. the 2000 would run the AC with no problems, I could run the generator on Eco mode (as long refreg and HW were on gas mode) but starting the AC the overload light would flash on. That 2000 would pull some RPM but it would run the AC.

Than I bought a Predator (harborfreight) 3500 invertor. The 3500 runs the same loads but barely comes off idle, much quitter than the Honda.
I used to have to run a Boat tank on the honda to make it through the night, the Predator does 11 hours on a tank of fuel.

Now I have a small motorhome with a 15000 BTU AC/Heatpump and the Predator runs it no problems (but the Honda will not)

the Predator comes with a 90 day warranty, for around $150 I bought 2 additional year warranty (total 27 months). This is a "no questions asked" warranty, just bring it back dry and exchange it. than you can buy an additional warranty on the new generator.

I also kept the honda. Between the 2 I have 5500W peak that I can run my home on using extension cords.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

Than I bought a Predator (harborfreight) 3500 invertor. The 3500 runs the same loads but barely comes off idle, much quitter than the Honda.

That's what Honda2000 owners don't want to hear.
I was very close to buying Predator when my build-in Generac gave ghost, but having Honda3000 at home, decided to cut the trip.
I think this is first review of Predator. thanks.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still can't lift 100 lbs [emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

towpro wrote:

much quitter than the Honda.

That's what Honda2000 owners don't want to hear.

I’m sure the Honda 2000 owners don’t care if the Predators quit. [emoticon] Seriously though, a Predator is not a Honda.

And of course a 3000-3500 will never be as light as a Honda 2000. I am wondering if a Honda 2200 seems quieter than a 2000 under load.

I’m not in the quiet running though as a propane Onan owner. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travels with Yoly wrote:

Another BS argument.
Few years back I was carrying Honda 3000 around my motorhome just fine.
Now, in retirement age I ask DW when I need to lift it, but having it on front mount I don't have to lift it. Even when I drop camper and leave dogs on campground with power, the generator goes with the truck.
At home I have a cart that I will slide it on -straight from the receiver.
Not even going into fuel issue. My 3000 holds fuel for over 14 hr of operation, so I don't have to carry extra cans, unless I plan long stay on desert.
Observing Honda 2000 owners constantly refueling the generators when I enjoy cold one is fun similar to watching boat launchers.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travels with Yoly wrote:

I might have the same issue..I tore my right shoulder cuff in late June throwing a big Dewalt double tank compressor(With wheels..Laffin) into my Rhino bed, and just went to the doctor yesterday and have an MRI here shortly..My Honda 3K would be to much one handed but the wife and I could get it on the trailer together or my son could help or just do it..Once on the trailer, I can slide it around to wherever I want it and use it on the trailer..

In my opinion,the Honda 3Kis is the best generator made and that's from owning most, including the Yamaha and Onan.. Ain't selling that for nuttin..

There not that heavy, especially for two people..Neighbors/friends or family can help when needed to load one and just leave it where you put it..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Where in your camper does that 3500 Predator fit?
4000 Watts (more than a 3500 Predator) of Honda EU2000 fits right in my generator compartment.

Oh, that’s right... the 3500 doesn’t fit. You have to mount those things on a front hitch rack.
And get someone to help you lift it.
That sounds great.

* This post was edited 10/22/19 01:39pm by burningman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.