RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Recommendations for quiet portable generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Travels with Yoly wrote:

It wasn't intended to be an argument but a simple fact of life. My wife and I cannot lift that much weight safely. I do not have the means to construct any of the devices you so proudly boast of nor the inclination to do so. We are perfectly happy with the choices we have made.

If you can't lift 65 lb, than you are disabled person.
You shouldn't lift Honda 2000 neither.
Obviously everything in this life require some thinking about possible ways to do.
Just this morning I unloaded 250 lb marble slab from my van and carried it on my patio.
Some thinking how to leverage the weight without lifting more than 50% and using hand truck does the trick.
Anyway, topic went far beyond original question and when loading and fuel supply are secondary issue, Honda 3000 is the quietest generator for AC loads Period.
Even Predator is much quieter than Honda 2000 CHECK THE VIDEO

The video is not an apples to apples comparison. I would certainly expect a generator under greater load to be louder. The Honda operating at 1500 watts is around 85% load while the 3500 watt generator is running approximately 50% load. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern why the Honda is turning more RPM which increases the sound pressure wave. And I am not actually disabled and frankly find your comments insulting. I know my limits from a practical standpoint and have found the 50 lbs of the EU2000 to be manageable and easy to deal with. I'm in my seventies and fit for my age. I just don't take lifting heavy things for granted like I used to.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the disabled comment was pretty dumb.

Last winter, I dislocated my collarbone on a freak accident while camping.. Nevertheless, even 50 lbs was going to be too much for me at that time. It would have been up to my DW. Since she’s not that much over 100, asking her to move generator over her weight wouldn’t make any sense. We just have a built in, but the point remains. You never know when your strength might change on a trip.

It’s the same reason I wouldn’t buy a 12000 lb sllidein winch mount. Could get by with a 5000 which is way lighter, and why be forced to carry somethng a lot heavier just in case. When I’m heatlhy, I could easily handle the larger winch, but who knows when that might change.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Travels with Yoly wrote:

It wasn't intended to be an argument but a simple fact of life. My wife and I cannot lift that much weight safely. I do not have the means to construct any of the devices you so proudly boast of nor the inclination to do so. We are perfectly happy with the choices we have made.
If you can't lift 65 lb, than you are disabled person . . . Just this morning I unloaded 250 lb marble slab from my van and carried it on my patio . . .
Certainly get the impression empathy (and tact) is not your strong suit. The reality is, everyone, including you, Kayteg1, will be unable to lift 65 lbs. at some point in their life.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Certainly get the impression empathy (and tact) is not your strong suit. The reality is, everyone, including you, Kayteg1, will be unable to lift 65 lbs. at some point in their life.

I am in the age when I no longer can lift what I used to 10 years ago, but IMHO flooding others with personal limitation and not explaining reasons is insulting them.
You can always look on the subject from different directions.
Still, coming back to original issue, I still prefer to slide big generator on front hitch and forget about moving it for the length of the vacations, than carrying smaller generators out and in at each stop + deal with gas cans.
Especially when that comes with less noise and adds to safety of directing exhaust away from the camper.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Kayteg's comment was pretty thoughtless and yet unsurprising.

Annoying is looking like his most positive attribute...

Fact is, no one size is the 'perfect' solution for everyone. We often carry a 1000, 2000 and 7000. How's that for something to debate about?

Noise, longevity and ability to move are all important considerations. There are some good comments in this thread...and several dead horses.

'07 F550 with Link Ultraride air under an '11 AF 1150. It's either a fishing boat, snowmobiles or dual sports; something is always being towed.

Switching over to a 2016 F550 with new Ultraride air...just need to get the flatbed built.

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

otrfun wrote:

Kayteg's comment was pretty thoughtless and yet unsurprising.

Annoying is looking like his most positive attribute...

Fact is, no one size is the 'perfect' solution for everyone. We often carry a 1000, 2000 and 7000. How's that for something to debate about?

Noise, longevity and ability to move are all important considerations. There are some good comments in this thread...and several dead horses.

X2 big time!

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

Mike Boswell

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2016 Lance 995 truck camper and mounted it on a F350 earlier this year. It has an Onan propane generator mounted in the unit, and it's too noisy for me, so I'm thinking about removing it and doing something else.

We don't plan to use the AC or microwave when dry camping, but it has a TV and it would be nice to watch a movie in the evenings. From what I've learned in this thread, an inverter running off the 2 batteries might run the TV. The camper has a solar system that does a good job of keeping the batteries charged.

My question is, will this work, and what kind of inverter should I get?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends how big screen you have, 2 batteries with inverter will give you several hr of watching, but still good idea to have back up generator for short, winter days.
That's why I bought 1000W generator to use when my 3000W Honda would be overkill.
Would I stay at night that require heating, I would consider connecting 2 truck batteries to camper for reserve power.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Depends how big screen you have,

Screen size matters if the technology and age of the TV is the same. Newer tvs use a lot less power. The energy guide amounts will give you a relative cost. Also, most newer tvs have a low energy setting which will impact the usage as well.

You can find the power usage of an older tv with no low energy settings could be easily double a new technology tv like QLED, LED, or OLED in energy mode.

That being said, a newer TC sized tv shouldn’t be much more than 3 to 4 amps. A 300 watt is sufficient to easily drive a TC sized TV and DVD player since you’ll like draw no more than 100 watts.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To see how long you can run your TV or any other product off an inverter,check out this converter to see..

Scroll down to the converter..

How Long can I run something on an Inverter

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS