|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Different kind of Jack-knife

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 02:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
I did this a few days ago. I was making a sharp left turn out of a narrow driveway onto the highway and the wheels of my fiver went down the ditch resulting in the bed area twisting and digging into the side of the truck bed. Very little damage to the 5th wheel.

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That plain sucks, I’ve seen that damage many times before though, so clearly you aren’t the only one that’s had this happen to over the years.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE | 12 John Deere 1023E

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That could happy easily, when a FW is put in a off camber maneuver. Sometimes, even good cab, and bed rail clearance, just isn't enough, but takes takes a very alert/aware driver in extreme situations. We all make mistakes, things happen...the good news...usually easier to get the TV repaired, than the trailer.

Thanks for sharing, and helping us to be more aware.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sucks but not really a "jack knife"

Also not a new issue. Plenty of discussion about minimum clearance between truck bed and 5er overhang...though not many will have enough to handle falling into the ditch.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove through the ditch getting my 5er home for the first time. It didn't hit the truck but the steps of the 5er took a beating. I ended up widening the driveway 4 ft so that I can get in and out of it.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With it appearing that all the truck makers are building them taller from the factories with 18-20 inch wheels and taller off road suspensions, this will continue.
How many now have a problem of not being able to lift full profile 5ers any farther without going above the 13'6" mark? Folks either are already are or soon will be forced to reduce side rail clearance to stay lower overall.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alexleblanc wrote:

That plain sucks, I’ve seen that damage many times before though, so clearly you aren’t the only one that’s had this happen to over the years.

X2. I’ve seen this type of damage as well and wondered how it happened.

It doesn’t take much of a glitch with a truck and fifth wheel to make for a very bad day.....

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your hich should not have allowed more that a 7 deg. side to side tilt. If you have the minimum recommended 6" bed to overhead clearance, the hich would limit the roll between tow and towed, making the truck tilt with the trailer when that limit is reached.
Should you also encounter a high point vs a low point dip, the risk of bed to trlr. increases.
Raise the trucks 5er hitch, or lower the pin box to give better clearance.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

With it appearing that all the truck makers are building them taller from the factories with 18-20 inch wheels and taller off road suspensions, this will continue.

One side of the 5er dropped into a ditch...a couple inches more clearance likely wouldn't have solved the issue.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same thing but not as bad. Leaving a sloped driveway didn't notice until I got to my destination 12hrs later. I thought I had heard a weird noise but didn't think nothing of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Different kind of Jack-knife
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS