|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Planing on getting an Arctic Fox TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
GunnyJ

Jacksonville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'M getting tired of hooking up my TT and looking into an Arctic Fox TC wondering and looking for out put from you all, Ok Thanks for that Information to all that replyed so I'm changed my mind on the Arctic Fox TC and will be going to checking out the Northern Lite TC's it is a little more costly but I like the Ideal of being able to go in all 4 seasons again thank you all for your input!!!

* This post was edited 10/19/19 03:59pm by GunnyJ *

GUNNY J
LYNDA & Our German Shepherd Dog Rocky .
2008 Jayco Jay Flight 32 FKS.
2004 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 SRW
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a tc which was great for the rough country but after the fiver would never go back. So much more room and I can set up camp and leave it while exploring or beer runs. Arctic Fox is a well repected brand but watch your loaded weight, it can add up in a hurry.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arctic Fox campers are heavy and Northwood’s recommends dual wheeled trucks for their campers. Northstar TC’s are nice and made for SRW trucks.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, Northwood doesn’t recommend DRWs for all of their truck campers. I’m thinking you heard that at your local truck dealer. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you often stay in one location for days before moving, than I would stay with the TT. When I had a TT, my hookup time was just as short as time it takes to load a TC, so if you unload each time you stop, you aren't going to save any time. If you like to explore during the day and then finding a place to stay for the night than a TC may be better choice. We have a TC because the journey is more of the adventure than our destination.

In regards to the Artic Fox, they are well built but heavy. I have a Lance Lite 815 which weighs 2,400# wet and loaded. Originally carried it on a 2004 SRW Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 and I was only a couple hundred pounds under GVWR. The lightest Artic Fox will push you over the GVWR by several hundred pounds. Even with my newer 2015 which has a 4,300# payload, I would still be right at my GVWR with an Artic Fox. Have to remember the payload rating is for carrying a heavy bulk like blocks or cement, not necessarily capable of carrying a high COG load such as a TC, especially a basement model.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried a TC but like to leave camp and explore without extra duties. Will you be happy? Space is another issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

No, Northwood doesn’t recommend DRWs for all of their truck campers. I’m thinking you heard that at your local truck dealer. [emoticon]

Starting in 2013 and right to today, in Arctic Fox TC literature there is a statement under Camper Safety Tips and it states, a dual wheel truck is recommended for ALL Arctic Fox campers.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is from their catalog.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of us in the Northwest regularly see different models on SRWs. The dry weight of a 8 ft model is under 2900 according to their website. I don’t know, but I think the Wolf Creeks are lighter. Also OP could have a DRW or maybe has a SRW 3500.

That image says advisable not recommended. Northwood also makes Wolf Creek.

Based on the words in their manuals, they clearly think you can use something other than a DRW. Or, they think DRW capacities are radically different.

Anyway, their 2015-2016 manual has the following words.

RECOMMENDED METHOD OF TRUCK SELECTION:
To estimate the total cargo load which will be placed on the truck add the following:
1. The weight of all passengers in the truck camper
2. The weight of supplies
3. The weight of tools and all other cargo
4. The weight of installed additional or optional truck camper equipment and appliances
5. The truck camper weight figure supplied by the manufacturer–be sure to add weight of options
The cargo weight rating for the truck must be equal to or greater than the total cargo load of the maximum combined loaded weight of the truck and camper.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have the same disclaimer on the Wolf Creek product catalog. I think they are just CYA. SRW one ton is often the same truck as a DRW if you upgrade a few things. I can tell you from owning one (Arctic Fox) they are heavy beasts, especially on the passenger side with the full wall slide.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Planing on getting an Arctic Fox TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.