|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New Brakes Requires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 12 yr old KZ Spree has never had new brakes, when we bought used 2 yrs ago, it still had the original tires as it had very rarely been towed anywhere!
We have since towed it well over 20,000 km mostly on the east coast which i would describe as hilly but not mountainous.
Braking performance is fair even with the brake controller on full.

So we decided to replace the braking system with 4 new brake assemblies at our dealers suggest.

Etrailer has 2 brands, there own private lable and dexter originals. etrailer brakes are $100/ pair and dexters are $25 more per pair. canadian dealer prices are double that!

my tendency is toward the dexter originals, but anybody know the difference?

we also want to install a powered aframe jack. suggestions as to weight capacity? right now we have the original handcrank 2000# capacity and its time for a new something, effort required is getting higher and higher(or im just getting old!). tongue weight is around 1000 lbs plus we lift the truck to install our weight bars. so im considering a 3000 lb jack

* This post was edited 10/20/19 04:20am by stevemorris *

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would contact E-trailer, ask them the difference. I'm sure they don't manufacture their brand assemblies, and should tell you who does. It could be Dexter/Lippert. The pads themselves may be different, and if that is the case, I'd get the better ones. A 3K jack sounds like a good fit, may as well have the extra lift capability, with added durability.

Jerry

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I replaced my brakes, I went with the Dexter brakes with automatic adjustment. Well worth he money.
As far as the tongue jack, I went with the Atwood 4K lb power jack.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try adjusting your brakes first? Most trailer brakes are not self adjusting.

Buy the cheaper set, they are most likely the same components and manufacturers.

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get the Dexter brakes. It is only an extra $100 and you can get parts for them. As far as the tongue jack, the price difference will probably less than $50 for a heavy lift jack. A heavy lift does not have to work hard to lift your TT and will last longer.
I had to adjust my brakes during our trip this summer. We only had about 1000 miles on the TT when we left. I adjusted just before leaving but decided to check them about 3000 miles into the trip. I had to do a substantial adjustment. I know that the brakes would be considered new when we left but the adjustment made a huge difference. The guy in the next campsite could not believe that I adjusted the brakes in under 15 minutes parked on my site.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have adjusted them, in the spring and half way through the 8000km trips
i will also check the current flow to give an indication of the wiring condition. unfortunately my meter only reads up to 15 amps, four 10 inch brakes should draw around 20

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

i have adjusted them, in the spring and half way through the 8000km trips
i will also check the current flow to give an indication of the wiring condition. unfortunately my meter only reads up to 15 amps, four 10 inch brakes should draw around 20

If they are correctly adjusted and still performing poorly, look at the wiring before replacing them. As for a tongue jack, I'd go with a 3500.

* This post was edited 10/20/19 02:34pm by drsteve *

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say e trailer brakes are probably made by the same manufacturer, you can ask them. As far as tongue jacks you can catch them on sale and 3k jack or above should aid in putting on the equalizer bars. I see new tongue jacks for 100 bucks on ebay all the time.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why you are replacing the brakes, were they worn beyond use? Did you inspect them or just take the word of a dealer?

I bought Chinese brakes once in an effort to prevent a particular problem with Dexter brakes, only to have the brittle magnet wires break on the first trip. I went back to Dexter and fixed the problem with some modification. If you really want to improve braking, install disc brakes.

Are you buying drums as well? No trailer drums are balanced from the factory, but I found Dexter to have better castings resulting in somewhat better balance. I find it humorous when folks claim they balance the tires and have no clue what is really happening.

If replacing wheel bearings, use Timken brand, the Chinese junk sold by eTrailer and most other places are junk.

The tongue jack can be used to partially lift the truck for easier connection of the weight distribution, so buy the heavier model.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the above if you really want to improve your braking performance upgrade to disc brakes. There is a day vs. night difference in performance between disc and magnetic drums

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New Brakes Requires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS