RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cuts to the Senior discount coming?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George Bush's famous quote of "The Business of Government is Business" rings true so true that even the blind can see and the deaf hear.
This is not about politics but the desires of the Global/Foreign Investors to control and profit form our National Treasure. There are two business groups, at least, always in the halls of Congress and State houses seeking to expand private/public partnerships, and eventually total private controlled, for their exclusive profits of our National Treasures, just like Indiana's infamous Spanish Billionaire controlled Toll Road and many many other examples.
WE the entire public better get involved. We need a lobby to protect our and Americas interest in Washington to represent us and America to our Elected Officials. How ironic!

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

While I'm not a fan of the cuts, especially since I will start receiving them in another year. It might be time to change discounts from peak demand time to lower use time period. Passport America and private campgrounds have done this for years. If I'm offered a discount I'm going to utilize it.

Why? We bought our passes with the contract as stated at the time of purchase. We paid all our working lives to support the Parks and government.

Tell me why a for-profit business needs to prey upon the elders of America?

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I don't think those "senior" discounts was ever about serving humanity, it's always about keeping occupancy at 100%.

I don’t disagree!! So much of it, also, is to create a gimmick that draws people in by making them think they’re getting a deal.

I dislike nearly all discount and preference programs that are focused on a particular group of people. That includes military, first responders, teachers, elderly, minorities, etc. This is the USA in 2019...none of those groups are disadvantaged because of a job they chose to do or the color of their skin or the age they’ve been fortunate enough to obtain. Yes, my wife and I qualify for some of these discounts and preferences, but we don’t ask for them. We recently booked at a campground and they asked us if we fall into any certain of groups which they offer discounts for. I swear, there was 15 or more different groups listed, and with just a little creativity almost everyone could have fit within one of those.

A while back, we went to a local state park for just a day visit. There was a young couple ahead of us, and they couldn’t have been more than 18 or 19 years old. The man (loosely called such) asked for a military discount. He didn’t ask “if” a discount was available, he specifically asked “for” a discount. The park attendant indicated that they did not offer military discounts. The guy then had the pay the regular entry fee: $2 per person.

Note that I don’t object to private companies offering a discount or preference to anyone they so choose. I don’t like them, and I also don’t believe they’re necessary or even in good taste. But private companies can do what they please in this regard.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was a private or the equivalent with a family I would certainly try to get a military discount considering their pay rate, which is very low.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

If I was a private or the equivalent with a family I would certainly try to get a military discount considering their pay rate, which is very low.
Did I miss where the draft was re-instituted? While it is certainly the right of a business to offer any discount that doesn't violate the law, those in the military chose to be there. The pay might be lower than private industry is some instances, but the benefits are generally bigger. Lifetime health care thru the VA, retirement after 20 years regardless of age, housing allowances and the like are not a normal perk in the private sector. In my opinion, those benefits tend to balance out any inequity in pay.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I'm far more concerned about privatization of the parks.

X2, X2 ... and X2 AGAIN !!!

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

While I'm not a fan of the cuts, especially since I will start receiving them in another year. It might be time to change discounts from peak demand time to lower use time period. Passport America and private campgrounds have done this for years. If I'm offered a discount I'm going to utilize it.

Why? We bought our passes with the contract as stated at the time of purchase. We paid all our working lives to support the Parks and government.

Tell me why a for-profit business needs to prey upon the elders of America?
Dutchman Sport explained it very well.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading though some thoughts here, I can only add this, if you happen to fall within a geographic group, whether private or public, and they offer a discount of any kind and you quality for said discount, you can chose to fall on your sword and not take it. I will take it every time, not because I feel entitled to it but simply because its offered.

I see absolutely nothing wrong in asking anyone/anywhere about whether a discount is available(Military, senior, AAA, AARP, Good Sam etc etc)…
Now with that being said, attempting to use a Federal or State camping discount is almost impossible in regards to actually camping(I don't even try) although I do use my Senior Pass for entrance into National Parks and so forth.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what we see staying at Corp parks, the parks would probably be empty most of the time during the week and used on weekends by the locals if the senior discount on camping is eliminated. I would think having seniors with the discount using the park would be better than it sitting empty. We are in a Corp park now 3/4 of the camping units left today. Weekend campers, and actually a few were only here for Sat night. No 2 day requirement here.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I still think our own gov't was responsible for JFK's assassination and they are covering up alien and UFO technology.

You forgot to mention, the moon landing was faked. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS