RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lemon Laws, some things may be changing

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Lemon Laws, some things may be changing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/19 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had a new item pop up on You tube.
The RV show on there had a segment on lemon laws, and apparently a case in Illinois has signaled something that may become more frequent.
Dealers failures to PDI units upon arrival at the dealership may place onus on them for repairs.
Interesting clip for any who are interested.
You tube

This is one case in one state, but apparently involves a sales law that is common in most states and is outside the specific "lemon laws" pertaining to vehicles.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the dealer can't do the repair when the factory is paying, how can it get fixed at dealers cost?
But a inspection when it gets to the dealer would be a good thing. After all, a truck load of watermelons gets to a Wal-Mart distribution center, do not meet standards, the load is rejected. If the RV hauler pulled out the gate back to factory, or better, to one of the places that re-sell damaged freight at a discount, QC at the factory would go up a bunch.
IMHO, another way to improve quality would be stop the bullsnot of leaving your RV at the dealer for as long as they want to take for warranty repairs. After say 3 days, stop in to check on the work. Not ready? Spend some time talking to anybody that might be shopping for RV about your problem. Next day, repeat. If the dealer sees people walking out with their money still in their pocket a fire my get built in service, or Hey factory, I can't sell this snot!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/20/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's long overdue in my opinion. Maybe they'll clean up their shoddy workmanship and start taking their customers seriously.


Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/20/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

If the dealer can't do the repair when the factory is paying, how can it get fixed at dealers cost?
But a inspection when it gets to the dealer would be a good thing. After all, a truck load of watermelons gets to a Wal-Mart distribution center, do not meet standards, the load is rejected. If the RV hauler pulled out the gate back to factory, or better, to one of the places that re-sell damaged freight at a discount, QC at the factory would go up a bunch.
IMHO, another way to improve quality would be stop the bullsnot of leaving your RV at the dealer for as long as they want to take for warranty repairs. After say 3 days, stop in to check on the work. Not ready? Spend some time talking to anybody that might be shopping for RV about your problem. Next day, repeat. If the dealer sees people walking out with their money still in their pocket a fire my get built in service, or Hey factory, I can't sell this snot!


Agree with everything you say but the manufacturer would then send to dealers who don't return units or bellyache. The manufacturers would possibly delay parts for repairs since the dealers blame them anyway. Dealers who don't complain would be the preferred sellers
for them.

From reading this and other forums I see that far to many buyers are not educated enough on buying and receiving warranty work, don't realize that many dealers refuse to work on units they don't sell and often think that warranty is as simple and quick as an auto buyer.

Never ending circle for buyers who are trapped.


Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to hold my breath on that.


2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JR, be careful talking to potential buyers about your repair issues on the dealer’s lot. Your license to be there does not include that conduct.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/21/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are creeping off topic a little here but ...
What many don't realize is there are many small, privately owner RV shops out there looking for work. These guys rely on return customers as they don't have nearly unlimited advertising money some of the larger corporate groups do. A quick call to the manufacturer and you will most likely find that any RV repair shop can do the work as long as it is pre-approved.


2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/21/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:


Agree with everything you say but the manufacturer would then send to dealers who don't return units or bellyache. The manufacturers would possibly delay parts for repairs since the dealers blame them anyway. Dealers who don't complain would be the preferred sellers
for them.


Yes, the dealer might have more trouble getting units, but could the preferred dealer rebuild all the units?



Quote:

Never ending circle for buyers who are trapped.


NO! Nobody needs a new RV. Buyers, as a class, could fix the problem if they could drag their heads out from between the cheeks, and put back on their shoulders.


Lwiddis wrote:

JR, be careful talking to potential buyers about your repair issues on the dealer’s lot. Your license to be there does not include that conduct.


Back in '88 the dealer had my brand new pickup for 2 weeks, because "We are waiting for parts" Manager said if I didn't shut up they would call police. Friend pointed out a news van was closer than cops. Next thing I knew they had the part on another vehicle that had not sold yet. If one person was throwing a fit, he might have problems. But I think the buyers out number the dealers, and dealers out number the manufacturers. But dealers and manufacturers both need money, and the only source of that money is the buyers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Lemon Laws, some things may be changing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS