|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Door Won’t Open When Sunny

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Rowehowe

Carlsbad

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1986 PACE Arrow has this problem, seems to be getting worrse, where when its hot out (especially sun baking on the door), then the door won’t open. The only thing, up until today; that would fix it is putting a sharp durable pointy metal poker into the door latch from the outside and prying it open. I have damaged the door and screen over the last few times this has happened.

Before I foundout it was easiest to pry with a pin, it took my 5 hours of unscrewing everything and banging the hinges with a hammer (ruining the aligned connection between the screen door and the regular door). Well the pin I usually use just snapped... I have had a lot of RV problems, probably hundreds, but this one in particular has no solutions I can find online and is always the differential between if I can leave the RV locked or not aka I’m forced to chill in the hot RV till I figure it out. . I am currenrly going in through the driver door, and it sucks. Its uncomfortably hot out in Carlsbad today, as well. Any tips appreciated. -Austin

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s no “shinny” spot on the door or frame showing where it’s hanging up? Once open, closing it slowly doesn’t indicate to you where the problem is? From the outside and from the inside?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this a latch problem or a door/frame fit problem?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn around.

Sorry.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

Rowehowe

Carlsbad

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got it open with a little more force, I am getting to the bottom of this. From what I have read online (for regular house doors), there is expanding water in the foam/wood surrounding and inside the door, and when it heats up the door (or surrounding walls, not sure) literally expands. It was to do with the latch mechanism, but for most people that means a peg or bolt has broken, and for me I believe its just because the door is expanded. Thank you for the replies!
-Austin

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have expanding wood products due to water then you have much larger issues than a stuck door.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Door Won’t Open When Sunny
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS