|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't read all the post. but I would like to be right behind the O/P when he interred the Canadian border and told them they need a search warrant. might be comical to watch.i've been there, didn't get searched but have several friends that have and they said it wasn't fun.
Jay D.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

• * This post was edited 11/02/19 08:32am by JRscooby *

• JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

California has a multi-billion agricultural industry that the state is trying to protect from pests.

The mandate extend to invasive species that could play havoc on it's forests and bodies of water.

Hence, CA's borders have inspectors.

Yes, those produce and firewood can be asked to be off loaded.

Yep yep yep. California is the only state in the country with multi-billion agricultural industry.
    Nope, but it is the highest; nearly double 2nd place Iowa ($50 billion vs $27 billion).

OK, double the dollars. But triple the area.
    I'm not against a check at the state line, but one of two things should happen. Search every vehicle, or ask if they are carrying any banned stuff. I would take issue with anybody that asked, then did not take my word.
    And I would feel better if the firewood or produce that was unloaded at a check was offered to people leaving the state.

badsix wrote:

I didn't read all the post. but I would like to be right behind the O/P when he interred the Canadian border and told them they need a search warrant. might be comical to watch.i've been there, didn't get searched but have several friends that have and they said it wasn't fun.
    Jay D.

You think there is no difference between international boundaries and a state line?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First:

Their asking and then choosing to search is not about YOUR feelings, it's about them doing a job and having to make a choice based on a wide range of observations. Funny how it is so upsetting for an old white guy to be singled out of a line for a more indepth scrutiny about a bag of fruit. "Oh the horrors! They think I'm lying!"

Second:

If they let someone else take that fruit (or firewood, etc.), it will very likely find it's way into the state. Or will be dumped a few miles away when found to be infested with a bug and that bug will find its way over the state line. And if that happens, then the ag folks didn't do their job.

In the end, just deal. If they ask to search, say yes or no (whatever your reason) and politely deal with the consequences. Get over yourself.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
    1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
    Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

4x4van wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

California has a multi-billion agricultural industry that the state is trying to protect from pests.

The mandate extend to invasive species that could play havoc on it's forests and bodies of water.

Hence, CA's borders have inspectors.

Yes, those produce and firewood can be asked to be off loaded.

Yep yep yep. California is the only state in the country with multi-billion agricultural industry.
    Nope, but it is the highest; nearly double 2nd place Iowa ($50 billion vs $27 billion).

OK, double the dollars. But triple the area.
    I'm not against a check at the state line, but one of two things should happen. Search every vehicle, or ask if they are carrying any banned stuff. I would take issue with anybody that asked, then did not take my word.
    And I would feel better if the firewood or produce that was unloaded at a check was offered to people leaving the state.

badsix wrote:

Jay D.

You think there is no difference between international boundaries and a state line?

No idea what the difference is , but a few years ago entering Canada ,towing a trailer we were searched. We were searched thoroughly inside that camper, and asked many questions.

We had nothing to worry about, but they went thru everything. Not sure how it would have went if I refused the search, and it never entered my mind, but entering Canada ,I'm pretty sure would not have happened . The only thing I said other then answering their questions , was why we were being searched ,and the answer was its random. Good enough for me, nor did it bother me they searched us other then it took awhile.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cross periodically at the north end on 101. unless things have changed, most of the time you can pass right through, the place isn't even open most of the time.
    and yes there is a huge difference going into Canada. if they decide to search they search everything. we crossed last summer going to Alaska they asked a lot of questions, he was very nice about it. we had prescription drugs and I wasn't sure how to answer his question about them. anyway he said I did just fine. I asked about the dog and her papers that cost almost 100.00 he said I can see she is healthy have a good time in Canada he said. there was no one behind us at the time and I asked him how they determine there searches he said random and your reply's to questions and a lot of other things. these people are well trained on reading people.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badsix wrote:

Jay D.

An international border is not quite the same as a state border. A nation has the obligation to protect itself.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowflake the OP here.
    Strange darn thing, I entered California on I 15 Friday morning,I was met with a wall of inspection booths,all unmanned. Myself and several thousand(probably mutitudes) of my fellow travelers merrily transported whatever pests into were in on or incorporated into their vehicle into California. Yep ag checks are a vital thing. Yep Okay!
    No Warrant No Entry!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Snowflake the OP here.
    Strange darn thing, I entered California on I 15 Friday morning,I was met with a wall of inspection booths,all unmanned. Myself and several thousand(probably mutitudes) of my fellow travelers merrily transported whatever pests into were in on or incorporated into their vehicle into California. Yep ag checks are a vital thing. Yep Okay!
    No Warrant No Entry!

Snowflake and unedumacated.

It will be manned and strict when they got alerts of infestations from some states across the borders.

And next time it happens, insist on asking for a warrant with your best attitude shown (like after a lost sleep when wifey have you sleep on the sofa).

Or, better still show the same show-me-a-warrant and that attitude during drug interdiction operations when they do it together with state troopers and DEA in those checkpoints.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even after all these responses, "Snowflake" still doesn't grasp the idea of a "deterrent" whether the booths are manned or not. Some people "pucker" just from reading the sign's of Inspection Ahead" ….they don't pull out their Constitutional Law Book and plan the attack.

Actually this is kinda funny, I went away for a whole week and this topic is still going strong!!!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
    The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
    Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 19  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS