|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> diesel class c

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Richert

florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thinking of trading our Class A for one of the smaller Class C diesel models, looking at Tiffin and Winnebago--can I get some comments please

Blake
2000 Kountry Star
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had them all over the years , we now have a small C with a 5cycl mb diesel and won,t go back. drive it right down to the shores, and park where we want . two people its great. www.leisurevans.com but theres others out there winnie has them. and 17/20 mpg don,t hurt.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the last I rode in a small diesel C it had a lot of motor noise in cab. don't know if they are better now. think disadvantages outweigh advantages for me.

bumpy

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 3.0L MB diesel in our Navion is a lot quieter in the cab than the V10 in the Sunstar, it replaced. Lots of great standard features on our Navion and the 2020 models have been improved in that department even more. As sadie says better fuel economy than gassers, and I also agree with "hard to justify ever going back to a gas powered model". Not impossible, just improbable.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our Winnabago Fuse on Ford Transit Diesel chassis. It rides and drives like a dream.....and its little 5 cyl Ford diesel engine is certainly more quiet than the noisy Ford 10 cyl gasser it replaced!

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like our Winnebago View with the 3.0L Turbo Diesel Class C. However I'm flirting with getting a smaller class A bunkhouse.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

DouglasC

Grand Haven, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone seems to like the fuel economy and perhaps quietness (depends on what models one is comparing) of a diesel but what about the initial cost? Every diesel based Class C (eg. Winnebago View or Fuse) is $30 to $40 thousand more than a comparable Ford E350/E450 based motorhome. You can certainly buy a lot of gas for that price difference. Not everyone wants to pay over $100,000 for a motorhome. That's why Ford still sells many thousands of the E350/E450 cutaway chassis to the RV industry each year.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a financial perspective....

I feel diesels pay back when driven. If you don't drive your motor home that much, then the investment payback won't happen, most predominantly with a Mercedes Sprinter.

There are a few other factors some people tend to overlook with a Sprinter or Transit diesel.

1) They are usually equipped with a propane generator because it is cheaper and lighter than the diesel version....propane is a hot commodity in remote areas of the country, especially in spring and fall when running your furnace.
2) The Sprinter (not sure about the Transit) you cannot idle the engine for extended periods, a limitation of it's emission systems. For me, I find comfort knowing I can idle our gas engine as much as I desire for back-up heat, cooling, battery charging, and during generator restrictions.
3) Sprinter-specific, maintenance and service is costly and limited.

But as others are sharing, the Sprinter and Transit are simply attractive and comfortable. You prioritize what is right for you, and be happy.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

I feel diesels pay back when driven. If you don't drive your motor home that much, then the investment payback won't happen, most predominantly with a Mercedes Sprinter.

There are a few other factors some people tend to overlook with a Sprinter or Transit diesel.

1) They are usually equipped with a propane generator because it is cheaper and lighter than the diesel version....propane is a hot commodity in remote areas of the country, especially in spring and fall when running your furnace.
2) The Sprinter (not sure about the Transit) you cannot idle the engine for extended periods, a limitation of it's emission systems.
For me, I find comfort knowing I can idle our gas engine as much as I desire for back-up heat, cooling, battery charging, and during generator restrictions.

But as others are sharing, the Sprinter and Transit are simply attractive and comfortable. You prioritize what is right for you, and be happy.

Diesels are more expensive. We like the performance and range of our Sprinter. Its more of a preference issue.

I am not sure where you get the opinion that Sprinters are usually equipped with a propane generator. I have not seen one, I am sure they exist. Pay your money and take your choice.

I am not sure where you get the opinion that a Sprinter has a limited idle time. Maybe you could give a resource for this statement. I personally do not like to idle any engine for extended periods of time.

Maintenance on a Sprinter is in line with other diesel equipment. Most Mercedes dealers and all Freightliner dealers are able to service with OEM parts. There are also many independent foreign shops that are qualified to maintain Sprinter's. Are there enough, probably for most Sprinter owners. Are there as many as the big 3 no way.

We have owned German cars (BMW's and Mercedes) for more than 25 years and we have not had any trouble with obtaining service, even when out of town. In fact we have only needed service once out of town, that was in Topeka.

Mercedes diesels are used around the world, in many inhospitable areas. They have a good reputation and we have found them to be reliable in the past. Out present Sprinter is serving us well.

Would I consider a gas unit. Absolutely! The GM based units have a good engine and drive train. They are probably the best of the gas units. The Ford (we have owned and liked many Fords) V10 has not been a great engine, its okay, their is a reason why Ford is going to a new gas 7.3 V8, the V8 is a superior platform for an engine compared to the V10. That gas 7.3 looks like a good design. Also the Ecoboost Ford V6 has proven to be a very good unit. That V6 in a Transit would be a killer combination. The V6 might just move me from the Sprinter, depending on the Transit's suspension.

Good luck.

Rick

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

2) The Sprinter (not sure about the Transit) you cannot idle the engine for extended periods, a limitation of it's emission systems. For me, I find comfort knowing I can idle our gas engine as much as I desire for back-up heat, cooling, battery charging, and during generator restrictions.

A great summary of "good old American iron" under a Class C versus something else!

Also, I just recently read this ... and no way would I put up with it in a motorhome that I wanted to be able to do it all if needed (even once in an emergency):
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f265/cold-temps-and-fuel-gel-355752.html

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> diesel class c
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS