RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ GIGO - all that needs to be said.

* This post was edited 10/31/19 01:09pm by wing_zealot *

LEMII

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard and read that one should try not to exceed 80% of the stated tow capacity of the TV. This builds in a factor of safety.

I'm looking at a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL with a UVW of 5,857 lbs and a GVWR of 7,495 lbs and a hitch weight of 581 bs.

If I assume a normal trailer weight of say 7,000 lbs. and I want that to be my 80% mark, I need to look for a max tow capacity of 8,750 lbs.

We're looking at a F-150 5.0l 4X4 with 6.5 ft bed (157" wheelbase)and 3.73 axle. Its stated towing capacity is 11,600; with a WDH the hitch capacity is 1,320 lbs., and the max payload is 2,640 (with Heavy Duty Payload Package).

So,
Trailer Weight = 7,500 lbs. < 80% of truck's towing capacity = 9,280 lbs.(0.8 x 11,600 lbs.)
Hitch weight is 581 lbs. < truck's hitch capacity (with WDH) of 1,320 lbs.

Payload: me and the wife-420 lbs., dog-65 lbs., firewood-200 lbs., hitch weight-581 lbs. = 1,266 lbs. << 2,640 lbs.

The numbers seem to work well...

Am I missing anything?

* This post was edited 10/31/19 12:36pm by LEMII *


Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD


wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII
Yes, if the payload on the sticker on the door of the truck is really 2600 lbs., you will be fine with that truck. The thing is, you will not find that truck on a dealers lot, it has to be ordered. If you are getting a truck on the dealers lot, I can guarantee it will have a lot less than 2600 lbs payload rating on the door sticker.
Secondly, get the 3.5 ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission, a much better combination especially if it is going to be your daily driver also. You can thank me later.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/31/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII wrote:



Am I missing anything?


You might want to price out an F250 that won't need extra packages.





Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII wrote:

I've heard and read that one should try not to exceed 80% of the stated tow capacity of the TV. This builds in a factor of safety.

I'm looking at a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL with a UVW of 5,857 lbs and a GVWR of 7,495 lbs and a hitch weight of 581 bs.

If I assume a normal trailer weight of say 7,000 lbs. and I want that to be my 80% mark, I need to look for a max tow capacity of 8,750 lbs.

We're looking at a F-150 5.0l 4X4 with 6.5 ft bed (157" wheelbase)and 3.73 axle. Its stated towing capacity is 11,600; with a WDH the hitch capacity is 1,320 lbs., and the max payload is 2,640 (with Heavy Duty Payload Package).

So,
Trailer Weight = 7,500 lbs. < 80% of truck's towing capacity = 9,280 lbs.(0.8 x 11,600 lbs.)
Hitch weight is 581 lbs. < truck's hitch capacity (with WDH) of 1,320 lbs.

Payload: me and the wife-420 lbs., dog-65 lbs., firewood-200 lbs., hitch weight-581 lbs. = 1,266 lbs. << 2,640 lbs.

The numbers seem to work well...

Am I missing anything?
Yes. If you actually have a TT that weighs 7500# with a TW of 581#..... Do NOT tow it at all, as it is unsafe. You need a minimum of 10% TW at all times. Since TW can vary so much in a TT, I prefer 15%. Others will say less, like 12-13% etc. But most everyone will agree that less than 10% is a no, no.


Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.



LEMII

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would assume that as the weight of the TT goes up from the UVW, the tongue weight will also increase proportionally. The tongue weight I gave was what the Mfg. had listed on its website for the camper.

Thanks though, that's something else to keep in mind.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 11/01/19 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII wrote:

I would assume that as the weight of the TT goes up from the UVW, the tongue weight will also increase proportionally. The tongue weight I gave was what the Mfg. had listed on its website for the camper.

Thanks though, that's something else to keep in mind.
That is correct. I only mentioned it, as you posted it as part of your calculations.... Gotta keep this straight as many people out there may read this, and think it is the way to figure it.

LEMII

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight? I guess park the TV on a certified scale, weigh it, then unhook the TT, ensuring the tongue jack is off of the scale and take the difference.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/01/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII wrote:

I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight?


I have a Sherline scale but there are other ways such as the bathroom scale.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/01/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

LEMII wrote:

I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight?


I have a Sherline scale but there are other ways such as the bathroom scale.


I did the bathroom scale years ago with a TT I had. It was very close to the scales here in Oregon which are IIRC in 50# increments.
I would never sweat 50#.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.