|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is going as usual. What we have here is different perception as to what performance is acceptable.
Some of us have higher standards than others.
Some of us started with 1/2 tons, and thought they did fine..... Until they experienced the difference a HD truck makes. Once that occurs, most won't go back to a 1/2 ton.

As always, your money, your choice.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

This is going as usual. What we have here is different perception as to what performance is acceptable.
Some of us started with 1/2 tons, and thought they did fine..... Until they experienced the difference a HD truck makes. Once that occurs, most won't go back to a 1/2 ton.

Hmmm I went from a 08 F350 dually and 38ft 5th wheel to a half ton and 30ft 7200lb GVWR Travel trailer and the half ton handles the TT just as well as the dually did that 5th wheel...[emoticon]

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This OP is a newbie asking...

IMO, if anyone has to ask, they do NOT have the background/experience/etc to understand the kinds of advice provided on these freebie forums...so my advice is always to go by their ratings (they have to do some home work, which includes weighing everything, axle by axle)

It is risk management decision they are going to make from the advice they get here and hopefully factored by their research into their specifications.

Many will advise to squeeze as much ratings as they can...to more conservative advice.

For me, the decision is for the day Mr Murphy crosses my path. Either everything is sized properly and adjusted properly spot on, or not. No time to go back to the store and/or resetup everything.

Good luck to the OP and enjoy their experience(s)

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do people list their trailers GVWR? Do people really tow at their trailers max? I don't. I had an 11,400 5er that loaded up weighed 9200-9300 lbs. Why would I want to mislead anyone?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"This OP is a newbie asking...

IMO, if anyone has to ask, they do NOT have the background/experience/etc to understand the kinds of advice provided on these freebie forums...so my advice is always to go by their ratings (they have to do some home work, which includes weighing everything, axle by axle)

It is risk management decision they are going to make from the advice they get here and hopefully factored by their research into their specifications."

^ True words by Mr. BenK. And while I'm about as far from the weight cops on here as anyone, I can and do read into the context of the question and try to assess the person's knowledge or abilities and tailor my response accordingly along.
This leads some folks on here to think I'm talking out both sides of my mouth, but I'm more of a "hey hold my beer and watch this" person and a do as I say, not as I do. And I don't push that on anyone, except the bible thumper equivalent of weight cops, lol.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Why do people list their trailers GVWR? Do people really tow at their trailers max? I don't. I had an 11,400 5er that loaded up weighed 9200-9300 lbs. Why would I want to mislead anyone?

Or a better question, why do people obsess over a few hundred or even, say 1000 lbs? If a person has done much towing, they'd realize that towing safety includes many different factors, only 1 of which is the weight of the trailer. And trailer weight (within reason) may be a ways down on the list of important considerations depending on the trailer and the rig.
Like I have pulled around 15klbs many times behind 1/2 ton trucks, but it's low profile loads and the ability to adjust the load to get an acceptable tongue weight. BUT, I'd not even consider towing a 7 ton 5ver or toyhauler behind the same truck. Jus cuz it weighs the same don't mean it's even close to the same.
Nother example, ultralight, lightly loaded big TC, say 30' long and 6000lbs, not too practical but possible. A JGC or Durango is "rated" to tow more, but that trailer could horsewhip a short lighter vehicle like that pretty easily, especially in the hands of the inexperienced, but it would be far more comfortable towing it with an ext cab long bed 1/2 ton that may not have any more rated capacity, maybe less even.
So to err on the side of caution, the bigger the tow vehicle, the better, but it doesn't mean smaller is unacceptable in all cases.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

That depends on use. While snowbirding we two different 5th wheels we were always close to GVWR, and over once in a while with the 29' Cardinal. Bighorn was always close to it's 16K GVWR. Planning for GVWR makes a lot of sense, as one will not end up with not enough truck for the trailer. Have more truck than needed does not lead to issues like not having enough truck. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question was raised so there could more clarity. Saying you tow the GVWR of your trailer while actually not spreads misinformation.
I had an F150 and towed a 7300 lb TT. It had a GVWR of 8400 lbs. If I said I towed an 8400 lbs GVWR TT with an F150 then someone thinks that F150's tow 8400 lbs easily.
Fake news.
It would be more helpful to say what your trailer actually weighs.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

My question was raised so there could more clarity. Saying you tow the GVWR of your trailer while actually not spreads misinformation.
I had an F150 and towed a 7300 lb TT. It had a GVWR of 8400 lbs. If I said I towed an 8400 lbs GVWR TT with an F150 then someone thinks that F150's tow 8400 lbs easily.
Fake news.
It would be more helpful to say what your trailer actually weighs.
It sure would be useful to state actual weights.
But most, even those on this forum have never weighed their rigs.... Of those that have, most only wieghed it once, usually when they first got it.

TTs are a lot like people in that, they both tend to gain weight over time, as one more thing gets put in them.

Going by GVWR, is usually the prudent thing to do. In fact I would wager that many end up over that, at some point.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

librty02 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Hmmm I went from a 08 F350 dually and 38ft 5th wheel to a half ton and 30ft 7200lb GVWR Travel trailer and the half ton handles the TT just as well as the dually did that 5th wheel...[emoticon]

huntindog wrote:

What we have here is different perception as to what performance is acceptable

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.