RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Portable or Hardwired EMS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable or Hardwired EMS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me it'd be a no-brainer to have a hard wired unit if we were full timers but we're not.

Wondering if it'd make more sense to get an exterior unit considering:

- We're weekenders
- I can see where we might change out rigs sometime within the next 5yrs

Also, I can see benefit in being able to test different pedestals w/out having to move the rig should a fault be found at an initially assigned spot.

Understand a big downside is potential theft of exterior EMS units, just wondering if other than that there's much of a downside to having one.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One advantage of a hardwired unit is you can't forget it. Also, many hardwired units offer more protection than their portable counterparts: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/portable-hardwired-comparisons

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I secure mine with a heavy chain and a good lock. They would have to come prepared and/or destroy the pedestal to walk off with it.
You can use it to test before pulling into a site or you can test with a less expensive tool. Mine partially failed under warranty and
was repaired and returned in under a week. Hard wired maybe convenient but its not for me.

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky's lock suggestion is a good one.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

To me it'd be a no-brainer to have a hard wired unit if we were full timers but we're not.

Wondering if it'd make more sense to get an exterior unit considering:

- We're weekenders
- I can see where we might change out rigs sometime within the next 5yrs

Also, I can see benefit in being able to test different pedestals w/out having to move the rig should a fault be found at an initially assigned spot.

Understand a big downside is potential theft of exterior EMS units, just wondering if other than that there's much of a downside to having one.

Depending on where your 30A/50A shore power cord is stored, you can plug a portable EMS like the PT-30X into your shore cable, keep the portable inside the (lockable?) electrical bay compartment, and buy a second 30A shore power extension cord, and use that between the electrical bay/EMS and the c/g power post. Cheaper to lose an extension cord than the EMS. It's how I do it.
If your portable ever fails for any reason, and you're under warranty, it's easier to send it back, than unistalling the hard wired versions or trying to replace parts in it.
Not sure about "more" protection from hard wired units. Dubious?

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Depending on where your 30A/50A shore power cord is stored, you can plug a portable EMS like the PT-30X into your shore cable, keep the portable inside the (lockable?) electrical bay compartment, and buy a second 30A shore power extension cord, and use that between the electrical bay/EMS and the c/g power post. Cheaper to lose an extension cord than the EMS. It's how I do it.
If your portable ever fails for any reason, and you're under warranty, it's easier to send it back, than unistalling the hard wired versions or trying to replace parts in it.

Brilliant!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Powertour wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

If your portable ever fails for any reason, and you're under warranty, it's easier to send it back, than uninstalling the hard wired versions or trying to replace parts in it.

Brilliant!

Aw shucks, tweren't nuthin. [emoticon]

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 hardwired unit is in the second rig. In each case it's installed without cutting/splicing any existing wiring so trivia to remove and restore original wiring. It also has a remote display inside the rig which is a HUGE advantage over a portable. Voltage, amps, error codes are all easy to see. A data wire has to be routed to the remote.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we chose the hard wired unit for convenience (we are nit FT). a bonus was the remote monitor mounted inside the coach.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

My 2004 hardwired unit is in the second rig. In each case it's installed without cutting/splicing any existing wiring so trivia to remove and restore original wiring. It also has a remote display inside the rig which is a HUGE advantage over a portable. Voltage, amps, error codes are all easy to see. A data wire has to be routed to the remote.

Ya gotta plug it in, don't you? You can easily see the portable unit's display as well, when you're outside the coach doing that. If it reacts to something and cuts power, you're not likely going to be able to either trouble shoot or resolve it from the comfort of the inside of your coach, you're most likely going to have to exit the vehicle at some point to resolve the problem, so it's really not a huge advantage. Very few shore power issues occur inside your coach.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable or Hardwired EMS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.