RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Brake fluid change?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Brake fluid change?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

And your post caused me to check. GM’s recommendation is no fluid replacement necessary until somewhere after 240,000 miles on my 2029 Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71.

Good to know the progress made 10 years in the future!

goff1256

Montrose Co

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My theory is more maintenance less repair I also use speed bleeder which makes the process very simple

Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Sophie the Fu Fu Dog

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

As to when to change, back in 60's and 70's when reservoirs were more open to air, even in 2 years fluid could have lots of water and junk in it. By the 90's the reservoir systems became much more enclosed and fluid didn't degrade near as much. I still pressure bleed every 2 years, but the fluid looks almost new.

Yep. Brake fluid change is cheap and having brake issues when your one the road is a real PIA.

Kevin

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All brake fluid is synthetic.
Brake fluid will absorb moisture over time and reduce the boiling point. Because our MH brakes work hard we want to maintain a high boiling point for safety reasons.
Yes, I change my brake fluid every two years.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as synthetic oils. Synthetic motor oil is just higher quality petroleum. Syn brake fluid is just a higher number. It all comes from oil. The higher number fluids usually can take higher temps, so maybe the "synthetic" is a better choice for a heavy vehicle, but not all brake systems are meant for just any fluid you pick out.

You can never change brake fluid if you prefer. As vehicles started to get better and last longer and need less maintenance then we started seeing things like "change brake fluid" or "rotate light bulbs" .

Yes, some water particles might get in the brake fluid and have an effect, but you can run the life of the vehicle and never change the fluid, it will still work. Do change your brake pads and do use high quality pads for a motorhome. Cheap pads are the wrong choice.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dang aj, I was hesitant to say that.

I never have changed any brake fluid in the last 10 plus years.

I never had any consequences in modern day vehicles. hammered my last TV down the road 160K miles and 13 yeas with nary a problem with the fluid. [emoticon]

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

There is no such thing as synthetic oils. Synthetic motor oil is just higher quality petroleum. Syn brake fluid is just a higher number. It all comes from oil. The higher number fluids usually can take higher temps, so maybe the "synthetic" is a better choice for a heavy vehicle, but not all brake systems are meant for just any fluid you pick out.

You can never change brake fluid if you prefer. As vehicles started to get better and last longer and need less maintenance then we started seeing things like "change brake fluid" or "rotate light bulbs" .

Yes, some water particles might get in the brake fluid and have an effect, but you can run the life of the vehicle and never change the fluid, it will still work. Do change your brake pads and do use high quality pads for a motorhome. Cheap pads are the wrong choice.

All brake fluids are technically "synthetic" in that they are man made and do not contain a petroleum base.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never changed the brake fluid in any vehicle I've owned in 45 years of owning cars/trucks and have never had an issue that I'm aware of.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We siphon (with a vacuum brake bleeder) all the brake fluid out of the reservoir every year or two on all our vehicles, then refill it with new synthetic brake fluid. Takes about 12-16 oz. to refill the cars and 32 oz. for our Ram 3500. Literally takes all of 2-3 minutes to do. Can't say there's some dramatic improvement in braking, but it's nice to see the fluid clear with so little effort and cost. Still do the occasional brake bleed. When we do, the brake fluid is significantly clearer vs. how it normally looks when we don't do the siphon and fill.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put changing brake fluid right up in the same category as injector flushing and the 3000 mile oil change. I view all three as nothing more than an add on money grab for the service writer.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Brake fluid change?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS