|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
JG

Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were camping in a area in our Casita & found an Apple Festival was going on. We grabbed out little dog and we were on our way. It was at an apple farm. It was crowded and folks had there dogs with them on a lease. As we were leaving I noticed a man sitting on a loading dock,with 2 Pitbull looking dogs. My wife told me to stop & we need to go another way. A couple walked by us with a black & white collie past the 2 large dogs. The one large dog alerted and the owner put his arm around both dogs necks. The larger dog backed away & the owner tried to stop him but the dog was to powerful. It pulled out of it's harness and attacked the collie in a matter of seconds. It was horrible. The leg & shoulder was injured on the Collie by the time the big dog was pulled away. Some one got a towel & wrapped the dog up & the owner got on her phone to find a emergency vet in the area. What if this had been a child? If your dog is to big to control, leave it at home.

2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the vet bill it's time for the lawyer's bill..

But yes. If I'd been there and the dog had attacked the child.. Well. I have no qualms on killing a dog (or its owner) to protect a child.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once had a Doberman, retired K-9, sight and voice command. I am a firm believer that if you are going to have a large powerful dog, it needs to be well trained. Make that any dog because those little yappers can inflict bad bites as well. Your pets need to be trained in the event they get away from you.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrible happening.

My dogs don't go to people events like a festival. It's too much going on and too crowded to be safe. Regardless of how well-trained my dogs are, the atmosphere creates an unsafe situation. The noises, foods, and people can stress out a dog easily and that can mean a dog fight or worse. Even if MY dog is the perfect dog and completely safe, that doesn't make every other perfect.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 15lb Papillon dog who just loves to walk around campground or anywhere for that matter. One day were at a state park at the beach doing just that. We happened by a small TT and we could hear dogs from INSIDE the unit. Suddenly there dogs crashed through the screen door on and ran to attack my dog. I had to push them off and try to pick her up at the same time. Fortunately the owners were quick to respond, and other than being shaken my dog was unhurt.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In many cases where a dog attack occurs, the irresponsible owner is the problem. With this type owner, pet has no training, often times no vet care/vaccinations, and the owner, little income/assets. It leaves the injured party almost no recourse to recover losses. The attacking dog may be confiscated/put to death, but little comfort for the victim, be it your pet, child, or yourself. Sadly the irresponsible owner will eventually just get another dog.

Jerry

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on edit, Crowe is right...

My post would have not served any purpose other than my own opinion.

Deleted

* This post was edited 10/23/19 07:27am by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't start the "I hate pitbulls" pitch. Serves no purpose, nor am I sure what the purpose of the post is. Dog attacks happens. People attacks happen. I am puzzled that a dog could back out of a full harness if it's properly used. What apple festival was it?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I don't understand. He has never done that before."

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don,t understand why the apple owners let dogs in????? and owners of dogs should not be taking them to public events. more than the dog is to blame for this mess.just my opinion there should be no animals at any public event.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS