|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

In many cases where a dog attack occurs, the irresponsible owner is the problem.

There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners. Having said that, there are certain breeds that have a propensity towards certain behaviors. However, each dog is an individual with its own personality. The wisest thing is to never put your dog into any situation where it could be in danger as the OP describes, or put your dog in a situation that makes it scared, over-stimulated, feeling unsafe, or even just uncomfortable. The end result may be like the original post.

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Serves no purpose, nor am I sure what the purpose of the post is.”

Then reread the post. Are you blinded by your love of dogs?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common story sadly. Our little dog, on leash, was pit bulll attacked by pit off leash. The owner had to hit his dog on the head with a big rock to get it to release. No apology, no nothing. OSP asked them to leave the state campground.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bat-dog has pulled out of a harness. With her body shape, they just can't fit correctly in all places, so there is always a weak point for her to maneuver out of. I use the martingale collars instead.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regrettably we seem to be living in a dog loving world where dogs are being given more and more freedom. They can be a big problem in campgrounds or really anywhere. Usually the owners are conscious of other people's rights but not always. In this case it was a very dangerous problem. I would sue and seek to have the owner arrested for contributing to the attack. I enjoy a small well controlled dog but we need to stand up to dog problems and owners or it's going to get worse.

Jayco-noslide

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This happened to me. I shot and killed the attacking dog. Had all I could do to not shoot the owner...

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years we have occasionally gone out of our way to avoid some dogs that give off a bad vibe. I personally don't think anyone should bring a dog which doesn't get along with other dogs to an event where other dogs are going to attend - nobody wants to listen to a dog barking every time another dog walks by.

Kevin

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my neighbor's used to raise Rottweilers. He walked them around the neighborhood without a leash. I had a BC and 2 Corgis at the time. I started carrying a cattle prod. Then all the Rotts were on a leash.

People with big dangerous dogs are often the last ones to use a leash. They need to wise up. I found the cattle prod to be the great equalizer.
My Dad had wild dog problems working in Puerto Rico. He used a lead horse whip that he carried in his back pocket. I had a paper route as a kid with some loose big dogs. I carried the whip in my back pocket. It gave me some confidence and I never had to use it.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

This happened to me. I shot and killed the attacking dog. Had all I could do to not shoot the owner...

It was a pit bull attacking my family and dogs that got me into firearms. I carry everywhere I'm legally allowed to carry. Given the OP's situation, 1st, I don't take my dogs into a festival environment, and 2nd, given the probable number of people in attendance, a firearm would be difficult to safely stop the attack.

To your point tho, the owner wasn't attacking you, so he wasn't a threat that needed to be stopped.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a dog is only as smart as its master!
Jay D.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Dog Attack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS